((((Big ))))) Local Buck Down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2011

Re: ((((Big ))))) Local Buck Down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a beauty alright. Congratulation Jeff. What zone was it taken in?

That is going to be a tough to beat but there is still plenty of time.

WOW!!! :eek:

Is this a D-16 buck??? If so, it has got to be a SD record!

Regardless of the area, CONGRATULATIONS all the way around!!!

Not D16, but still a SoCal. Pacific Hybrid.

Friggin awesome!
I am relieved to see this deer take the lead in the contest. Makes me feel better about the one I didn't get wasn't going to win anyway! :D

Sorry it took me so long to reply it has been a wirlwind of a weekend. I shot him in D15 at 8am Sat. I have been getting pic's of him for 3 years. i have over 60 pic's of him from shedding to velvet to rutting. last year i never even laid eyes on him. this year he was nocturnal till the rut started. As soon as i saw him (at 600 yds) i knew it was HIM. He was hot on a doe and i lost site of him as he went over a saddle after 45 sec. it took about 45 min to find him again and he was at 300 yards. I dropped him in his tracks with 1 shot. I was useing a T/C 7 mag. It took 6 hours to cape, bone and pack him out. cant say thank you enough to my brothers Jim and John for helping. Next time I will shoot one closer to the truck my legs are still sore.
After working this spot for 5 years, 1000s of game camera pic's, cutting trails, poison oak and tick's i was frustrated and thinking of working on another spot. Im sure glad I didnt.
Thanks to all you guys. Keep working and dreaming.
Thanks Again Jim and John.

As far as the Big Buck contest keep hunting hard guys its not over yet. I hear Lungpoper is the one to watch.

Jeff,

You have taken the virtues of patients and perseverance to an all new level. You are an inspiration to us all. Thanks for sharing your story. Again congrats on an epic buck.

TA

Jeff that is just awesome. To stay after a buck that you don’t even see in a whole season is just pure dedication.
You give us all inspiration to work new areas and find our dream buck like that toad you dropped. I can’t wait to see the mount for this buck, are you doing a shoulder mount, Thanks for the post and the great effort to show all of us what is out there if you work hard at it.

awesome buck that may just be a record for D15 or even socal congrats..

Jeff, awesome buck congrats. That will be a nice wall hanger.

Good Job,
Larry Cochran

Lungpopper said:
Put a tape to it yet ?

Not officially ! A friend was over and said it was 20 – 21 inches wide. Not sure if that was inside or outside etc. It all happened so fast. It wouldn’t fit in my freezer so I was in a rush to get it into the taxidermist. It sucks waiting that long to put your hands on those horns then have to turn around and hand him over to someone else for months. He’s a friend of ours and he does great work. Best of all he only takes 4 months. But I think I may go by there and pick up the rack after he skins the head out. If I do that, I want to take it over to Tony D. and have him green score it.

Jeff McCabe said:
Lungpopper said:
Put a tape to it yet ?

Not officially ! A friend was over and said it was 20 – 21 inches wide. Not sure if that was inside or outside etc. It all happened so fast. It wouldn’t fit in my freezer so I was in a rush to get it into the taxidermist. It sucks waiting that long to put your hands on those horns then have to turn around and hand him over to someone else for months. He’s a friend of ours and he does great work. Best of all he only takes 4 months. But I think I may go by there and pick up the rack after he skins the head out. If I do that, I want to take it over to Tony D. and have him green score it.

Jeff,

After he removes the cape and cleans the skull cap you should be able to hang onto your horns until the cape comes back from the tannery. I had the same horn withwrawls after I shot my biggest buck years back. As Golum said, "They are precious to us."

TA

Right on! Congrats! 3 years and well worth the wait.

Rusty now that’s an Avatar, Great job and I am sure that won’t be your only avatar, Good Hunting.

Jeff that is amazing that your guy can get your mounts done in four months. I have to wait a year just to get the hide back. Does he cure his own hides or use other ones he has,?. That is awesome and I would look to have him do all my animals if he wants the business.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu