BLM experiences?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
Have you had any luck hunting local BLM? I have scouted many areas and most of them are in pretty rough terrain and water is rarely available.

The times that I have seen signs of deer indicate that it was a long time since any game traveled the area. Typically old deer dropping and faded deer prints.
The one good thing I noticed is not many people want to do the long hikes so you can tell not many people passed thru,

Sometimes, the terrain looks really good but no one is home.

If I was a deer I probably would not hang out there, there is just no water except after it rains and even then.

What's your take?

Hunted BLM before and there was tons of sign but I'm guessing the deer are mostly active at night because as you mentioned the chunk of BLM I hunted was super dry and hot. Zero movement from anything out there during the day..been there early and stayed till dark and nada..

Reactions: Wildgame
Deer will travel long distances for water....BLM that has cattle or private within a mile or so will have deer....There's some pretty good BLM in the "16".

Reactions: dhntr48
There’s some BLM land about 15 minutes from home that has deer, but I think it would be pretty hard to get one.

Not too far from San J

And A zone...place sucks Choad ...

Have you had any luck hunting local BLM? I have scouted many areas and most of them are in pretty rough terrain and water is rarely available.

The times that I have seen signs of deer indicate that it was a long time since any game traveled the area. Typically old deer dropping and faded deer prints.
The one good thing I noticed is not many people want to do the long hikes so you can tell not many people passed thru,

Sometimes, the terrain looks really good but no one is home.

If I was a deer I probably would not hang out there, there is just no water except after it rains and even then.

What's your take?
Ive had 2 blown stalks so far i have seen 5 bucks and 2 of them were “ holy shit” bucks lol

BLM is hot right now. I think its where the monster bucks hide. Go get'em boys!! Back 2 Back hunting, use the other hunters to your advantage.

Reactions: sportyg
I hunted BLM on opening day this year. Had a doe at 35 yards. Walked up and stood for about 10 minutes and caught me drawing while she was walking away. It’s just dumb luck out there mostly. CNF , in the trees, has more opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu