Blown Down Trees across trails

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Anyone know if your allowed to clear blown down trees across trails on Govt land? I have a large tree across all lanes still attached to its root ball and want to chainsaw it so the trail is passable again. There is no way around it only over, steep on both sides. Been there for a few years now and very much dead, I getting to old to keep climbing over it.

Well it is CA..so thats prolly your answer...or is it?

Just remember once you cut it it’s open to everyone to drive back there might put a lot more pressure in the area

Reactions: ilovesprig
Anyone know if your allowed to clear blown down trees across trails on Govt land? I have a large tree across all lanes still attached to its root ball and want to chainsaw it so the trail is passable again. There is no way around it only over, steep on both sides. Been there for a few years now and very much dead, I getting to old to keep climbing over it.
Welcome to my life in the mountains. Try owning some of this forest mismanagement hellhole haha

• Haha
Honest answer: check with the forest service. The problem isn’t only cutting the trees which is substantial work but also getting it out. Most places they don’t want vehicles used, especially if they’ve “re-wilded’ a road or trail. The oak borer really did a number on us. There is some federal and state money now directed at forest mgmt but it’s too little too late. Sadly the only thing that is going to correct things is a huge fire which will also take a lot of the good along with the bad.

IMG_1114.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Honest answer: check with the forest service. The problem isn’t only cutting the trees which is substantial work but also getting it out. Most places they don’t want vehicles used, especially if they’ve “re-wilded’ a road or trail. The oak borer really did a number on us. There is some federal and state money now directed at forest mgmt but it’s too little too late. Sadly the only thing that is going to correct things is a huge fire which will also take a lot of the good along with the bad.

View attachment 62106

Saw that they just aerial sprayed for oak borers on Palomar....Too little, too late?

O
Saw that they just aerial sprayed for oak borers on Palomar....Too little, too late?
theyll save a few black oaks above 5,000 feet but that pest has been raging up here 8 plus years now. Most every big black oak and a good number of live oaks in Will, Dyche and my area has been killed. It’s carnage. There really are no large black oaks left in dyche at all. The last few years have strengthened many mid sized trees so it should slow it down but it will be with us for 20 years. Most of the spraying is tree by tree and expensive, 200$ plus a tree. And all of those dead trees have to be dealt with.

There is federal money being deployed for which I’ve applied for phase II. Bergmans and Jeff valley were phase I and they’ve done a decent job. But the project phases will take years.

That really massive live oak at Will valley pond, 400 years old, is dead now and dropping limb by limb.

• Sad

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu