Blown up shotgun barrel

BudMiyamoto

Aug 8, 2018
I took my son out to IV to hunt euros yesterday. I had 10 euros in the bag then I took a shot and it sounded extra loud and the bird didn’t fall but I didn’t think anything. I walked over to the truck and put my gun on the tail gate and seen the barrel and thought wtf is that. It’s a new 12g Benelli super nova just bought it in October. I bought Kent’s shells when I bought the gun and are the only shells I ever shot out of it. I did some research and seen wads getting stuck or obstruction in the barrel but I never fell with it or got mud or anything in the barrel and clean it after every hunt and lube it before every hunt gun was clean and brand new. Would love to hear any thoughts. Such a bummer. And I keep seeing threads saying Benelli warranty won’t cover it. I sent them a warranty request with photos should I also try contact Kent?IMG_8026.jpegIMG_8025.jpegIMG_8021.jpegIMG_8037.jpegIMG_8038.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
wtf is right! you did not notice the gun exploded till you set it down?

that could have been so much worse.....glad you are ok. that same failure at the breach and you could be blind or worse

something obstructed the barrel.. was your son shooting a 20ga. could you have slipped one in and stuffed it down the tube?

that could have been so much worse.....glad you are ok. that same failure at the breach and you could be blind or worse

something obstructed the barrel.. was your son shooting a 20ga. could you have slipped one in and stuffed it down the tube?

He’s only 7 he’s not hunting yet.

Last edited:
Don't count on a positive response from Benelli. By the way did you get the dove? prolly not.

Don't count on a positive response from Benelli. By the way did you get the dove? prolly not.
Not that one when the gun blew up I was wondering why it didnt drop it was a fairly close shot haha, I did get 10 euros before that. Could have got more if my gun didn't blow up lol. Yeah Benelli wont cover it I also spoke to Kent they are looking into it, fingers crossed they can help me out.

Last edited:
There was absolutely obstruction at that point...And, was probably from a blooper...Primer goes off and wad gets stuck half way down the barrel...Did you keep or have those hulls?

The hull will be very black from mostly unburnt powder.

I kept
There was absolutely obstruction at that point...And, was probably from a blooper...Primer goes off and wad gets stuck half way down the barrel...Did you keep or have those hulls?

The hull will be very black from mostly unburnt powder.
all the empties Ill have to go through them and check thanks

Did you ever hear back from Benelli?
Nope. I know they are going to say its not covered by warranty. I sent in 2 repair requests and still haven't heard anything. I'm hoping they will at least give me a deal on a barrel. But who knows

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu