Bluefin

MJB said:
If anybody has the weekend open the Condor is a for sure go with a very light load on both of their overnight trips for $205 you can't beat that.....if I get the whelping box done this Saturday then I'll be on for Sunday's fishing!
Can't go this weekend but that's a great deal. Is that off-season pricing?

Took our boat on Saturday, launched out of Shelter island, got a full scoop of chovies, made a right at the point toward the 267. came up on the 9, lots of birds doing nada, saw a few kelps, no one home, kept running and looking, weather was a bit choppy hard to spot kelps, found a few but still no one home. didn't see 1 BF all day, didn't meter any either. water temp was 63 at 50 miles 61 at 70 miles. made a good effort but no one wanted to play, left the area at 1pm, on the way back we found a few bird diving hard and saw a few splashes in the distance, ran up to them giving it some distance and nada, dolphin city, dropped some YoYo's for a bit but nada. came back to point Loma Kelp caught a WSB and a few calico. beats the crap out of mowing the lawn.

Me and a couple buddies, got after them on Monday. Got into a couple zones with boiling bluefin everywhere. Huge fish, crashing the surface, it was awesome! We would drive up on them slowly and would get about 2 casts with the poppers before they would disappear -- only to pop back up a 1/4 mile away. Played that game of cat and mouse all day. Most of them didn't want anything to do with us, but finally Cody hooked up and boated a 50lb model. (probably the smallest fish in the school honestly, most were well over 100lb). Can't wait to get back out there. Left the speargun at home this time, but I bet I would have been more productive with it than with the poppers (and would have gotten some sweet underwater footage). Oh well, next time.

Attachments

• IMG_6568.JPG
    IMG_6568.JPG
    544.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6569 (1).JPG
    IMG_6569 (1).JPG
    531 KB · Views: 9
Back