Bumped doe in D11

drvn67stang

Jun 2, 2014
Went out today in D11 archery only area with a late start. Got to the start of my area at sunrise but decided to sit tight for a while. After no luck I decided to walk down the ridge I am on after 12 noon knowing the wind changes direction around this time, so I am able to walk basically the entire ridge with the wind in my face. At about 2pm I get to this bush and stop to glass and I hear some noise below and sure enough I see a doe hopping away from me.

My mistake was that I was walking too fast and bumped the doe. I don't think it saw me as I stopped right behind the bush. I pretty much had almost perfect conditions as the wind was to my face, so I know the doe didn't wind me.

There is some good sign on and along the ridge, with fresh tracks and droppings along with bedding areas near a decent amount of scrub oak (not sure if correct name) with a good amount of acorns.

I have both an A31 and AO tag, so I can take both a buck and/or doe. This is my first archery season so I know I need to work on my stalking skills as today was a good indicator. I have been out almost every weekend since archery opener with no luck, seen nothing but signs except for today. I was almost giving up hope but today I got some good motivation even though I bumped a doe in which I could have potentially harvested if I had slowed down.

My question is, do I go back to the same area tomorrow morning before sunrise (no late start) or do I wait to give the area some time before going back?

Keep going. My d-15 area has sign but i haven't seen any deer. But you just never know. Never give up.

If you bumped a doe you found a good spot. Give the area a rest for a day or so and go back.

Went back this morning, no sign of the doe. Going to leave that area alone for a bit. Before leaving for the day, I decided to scout some new spots. Right around sunset I spot this buck, but couldn't count the points as it was getting dark and my 10x42's weren't picking up enough light to see. I was glassing from the road but he didn't move, I guess he either saw me or was waiting until it got dark to move. I want to say he was about a click out, so it is promising that they are out there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu