Bye Commiefornia!!!!

With all due respect to all you folks leaving California, I think I'll stay....For the obvious reasons, like my mom, daughter, and grandson, but also for the weather, fishing and hunting.

I was in Texas this last week...But for the cost of gas ($2.97), I see no reason to move there...There is absolutely zero public land to hunt, the price of food is just as high as ours, restaurants were very high, their sales tax is about the same as ours, housing is starting to match ours, and the weather is probably much worse than ours (low 20's in Amarillo).
I can understand staying here if I was older and started my roots sooner, at a more affordable time. I spent all but the summers in CA for my entire life till I was 18. Was sent up to Oregon with the grandparents for summer most of the time.

Now that I am older and have my own kids I am sick of the concrete jungle's influence's on my kids and the amount of people anywhere you go from SD to Santa Clarita. Most of these people have no patience when it comes to even hearing someone else's side of a story. It is all about what big media said and that cant ever be wrong. I have met plenty of awesome like minded Californians but they keep getting fewer and fewer.

After some research and seeing that I could have a paid for house and some extra money on top of that and keep my job, it was a no brainer for us... I may only be 39 but I have hopes of retiring at some point and with a paid off house, lower cost of living, and less taxes, the goal seems much more feasible for us.

Standby for plenty of dead animal pictures once I get settled!!!

With all due respect to all you folks leaving California, I think I'll stay....For the obvious reasons, like my mom, daughter, and grandson, but also for the weather, fishing and hunting.

I was in Texas this last week...But for the cost of gas ($2.97), I see no reason to move there...There is absolutely zero public land to hunt, the price of food is just as high as ours, restaurants were very high, their sales tax is about the same as ours, housing is starting to match ours, and the weather is probably much worse than ours (low 20's in Amarillo).
I could not agree with Steve more. I hunted Texas years ago and not only is there not much public land to hunt, there is not much public land, period. The only good hunting there is on private land, and like CA, you pay. A lot of it is high fence, animals locked in, can't escape and hide, and the guides know exactly where they are. A typical hunt can last about 20 minutes. Our guide had a sable he had bought from a game farm and was releasing it on his high fence ranch that afternoon. An oil guy from Houston was coming in later that week to hunt the sable, paying $10,000+ for it and the guide said the hunt shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

I have always wanted to move to Montana but my wife reminded me to check the Great Falls weather the other day. Wind chill [check this yourself] was -50. Then I wanted to move to Colorado---my home state---so I went to hunt there 3 years ago, opening day of elk season. After hiking a couple miles into nowhere, I could not find anyplace to stand where I did not see at least a dozen orange vests. In two days I heard 2 gunshots. Then wife reminded me the other day to check the weather in Avon, CO, an area I like and visit to flyfish a couple times each summer and early fall, and it was 2 degrees with howling wind. We spent that afternoon at Fallbrook Winery, 800 yards from our house, sipping wine and enjoying the 75 degree weather.

CA politics drives me nuts but the weather in MT and CO and the total lack of legitimate public hunting in TX drives me even more nuts.

And check this out---There is actually more public hunting, waterfowl and deer specifically, in So Cal than there is in Texas. If you are of average means, you can hunt right here and then a few times a year make a 7 hour drive to AZ and get great quail and rabbit hunting. Or you can move to MT or CO and get great hunting and fishing and then spend 5 months a year scraping icicles off your testicles and paying a hefty sum to your divorce lawyer after your wife takes off.

You are correct sir. Nothing like California.

Imagine if California was a red state property’s would be twice the cost they are now…

You are correct sir. Nothing like California.

Imagine if California was a red state property’s would be twice the cost they are now…
It use to be red state and it was amazing.

Hard to stay and hard to leave for so many reasons.

Reactions: ilovesprig
And, as blue-blooded as our government here in CA is, Newsom just got his ass handed to him on a shovel a few days ago when a federal judge threw out Newsom's attempt to totally circumvent the 2nd amendment and impose unconstitutional regulations on all gun owners. The judge basically said that Newsom was in total disregard of the 2nd amendment and that the entire legislation was, in every respect, unconstitutional. Rumor has it that Newsom was so upset that he missed his weekly appointment at the hairdresser and couldn't even sit still long enough to have his nails done.

As far as hunting the grass is greener syndrome is real. But California does offer plenty of hunting opportunities to keep a hunter busy pretty much year round with lots of public land if you open to changing up methods of take. Texas is all private but if you live there or lived there long enough you will get to know a lot of people with land.

Western hunters dreaming east, eastern hunters dreaming west, northern hunters dreaming south, southern hunters dreaming north.

As far as hunting the grass is greener syndrome is real. But California does offer plenty of hunting opportunities to keep a hunter busy pretty much year round with lots of public land if you open to changing up methods of take. Texas is all private but if you live there or lived there long enough you will get to know a lot of people with land.

Western hunters dreaming east, eastern hunters dreaming west, northern hunters dreaming south, southern hunters dreaming north.
Darn, Mr. Trapline. That last paragraph may have been the most eloquent and spot-on I've ever read on this forum. Three thumbs up!

My son and his family moved to N/E Tennessee in July. They bought a house on a lake (800 feet from the launch ramp) for $390k which would have cost around $1.5M in Commiefornia. No state income tax. His property tax is less than $1500. Gas is about $2.80 now. Visitors in his back yard almost daily... Resized_20220831_075207.JPEG
... (photo taken from the back deck of his house)...1.5M acres of Wildlife Management areas to hunt, 175K acres of TVA land open to hunting, then there's the national forests. Great schools for his boys. They already know more neighbors than they ever did here. We plan to move out there this summer so I'll probably be posting one like this when that happens. Oh, almost forgot to mention, stripers up to around 40 pounds in the lake there also.

Last edited:
My son and his family moved to N/E Tennessee in July. They bought a house on a lake (800 feet from the launch ramp) for $390k which would have cost around $1.5M in Commiefornia. No state income tax. His property tax is less than $1500. Gas is about $2.80 now. Visitors in his back yard almost daily... View attachment 57150
... (photo taken from the back deck of his house)...1.5M acres of Wildlife Management areas to hunt, 175K acres of TVA land open to hunting, then there's the national forests. Great schools for his boys. They already know more neighbors than they ever did here. We plan to move out there this summer so I'll probably be posting one like this when that happens. Oh, almost forgot to mention, stripers up to around 40 pounds in the lake there also.

Turkeys?......................... :joy:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu