CA Deer species. Anyone bagged them all?

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
I was doing a little research and ran across this. Has anyone in here killed all the species? It might have to go on the bucket list.

CA Deer Species Locations.PNG

If one crosses a road..it's considered a different species.. and yes...light work ..that's Ca for ya ...LOL

Reactions: 180ls1
If one crosses a road..it's considered a different species.. and yes...light work ..that's Ca for ya ...LOL
Is there a limit on how many times it can happen? Or, can a deer start in NE Cal. and work its way way down south and in theory change nine times. Kind of like a cat with nine lives.

Reactions: 180ls1
Is there a limit on how many times it can happen? Or, can a deer start in NE Cal. and work its way way down south and in theory change nine times. Kind of like a cat with nine lives.
Nope...and maybe...and yep

What if you kill a deer in the rare to absent area.

Certainly no deer anywhere along the sac River or any of the agg land near there.

That is a geographic map... no DNA science to support it. CBH has 3 different species in their records program. Mule deer, Columbia Blacktail Deer and Pacific Hybrid deer. The MD and CBD share the same boundary as P&Y and B&C. The PHD is within the southern portion of the MD area... this is not supported by science. The P&Y and B&C boundary is supported by DNA science. I've taken all 3 CBH species. Take this for what it's worth... Ed F

Pacific Hybrid deer - D11
Mule deer - A20
Columbia Blacktail deer - Lake Sonoma

Screenshot_20230124-073712_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210404-195432_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20201105-123214_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
That is a geographic map... no DNA science to support it. CBH has 3 different species in their records program. Mule deer, Columbia Blacktail Deer and Pacific Hybrid deer. The MD and CBD share the same boundary as P&Y and B&C. The PHD is within the southern portion of the MD area... this is not supported by science. The P&Y and B&C boundary is supported by DNA science. I've taken all 3 CBH secies. Take this for what it's worth... Ed F

Pacific Hybrid deer
Mule deer
Columbia Blacktail deer

View attachment 57428

View attachment 57426View attachment 57427
Interesting. Those are some stud bucks.

Any reason why they didn't include the burro deer? Or is it just lumped in with Mule deer? To me, it really seems like it should be in its own category, maybe not?

Interesting. Those are some stud bucks.

Any reason why they didn't include the burro deer? Or is it just lumped in with Mule deer? To me, it really seems like it should be in its own category, maybe not?
Before my time. For all 3 organizations they are in the Mule deer area... appropriately so. You can go down a giant rabbit hole with this... especially with Whitetail deer. Just hunt... Ed F

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu