Calls from the wilderness....... What drives you!

MJB

For me one is elk bugling all night in elk camp the night before you fuck them up!

Or they do it to you

Sitting around a well stoked campfire listening to the night forest come alive. listen, is that a wolf? what was that noise just outside camp, could it ba a Mt. lion drawn to the fish we just cooked over the campfire.

Being in the duck blind just before shoot time, hearing wings whistle and trying to spot the first groups passing over. Also, listening to coyotes from my sleeping bag never gets old, especially if they’re real close.

Not a call from the wilderness, but the thread reminded me of this. One morning in D14, my Dad and I were hiking up a fire road at first light and the National Anthem started playing below on highway 38 for a race. My dad and I stopped and removed our hats. Listening to it in the quiet of the mountains was incredible. That was a real special moment for my dad and I.

For me one is elk bugling all night in elk camp the night before you fuck them up!

Or they do it to you
So many things. When evening shade finally overtakes the desert heat, meeting up with buddies in the IV the day before dove opener, bass crashing on bait fish at dawn, the loud ZZZZZ of a jig strike when you’re just about to fall asleep on the stern.

The silouette of the Sutter Buttes from the rice fields at sunrise. The commotion of the grind getting up. The excitement of whistling wings at daybreak. The horn at San Jacinto. Cooing doves at shooting time on opening day when you can barely see them. Cackling of a flushed rooster. Gobble after scratching the slate. The sound of the waves crashing against the side of the boat. Most importantly, the silence of the outdoors when I'm just sitting in the blind before the hunt or after the action has cooled off. So many things keep me getting out there and trying new things.

Back