Can you help a noob out with dove and quail?

M77HUNTER

I am active duty and will so be transfered to my new unit in southern California. I have hunted all my life but never in Cali. I was hoping I can get some help on where to go. I have read somethings saying Imperial Valley was decent and that I may find some mountain quail in the San Bernardino mountains. I'm really just trying to find a decent place for Gambles Quail and dove. I'm not asking for anyone's honey hole, but I would greatly appreciate some solid advice on a decent place to start. Thanks in advance for the help and enjoy your day.

Idk of you're going to be anywhere near the los Padres but really anywhere up the 33 or in lockwood valley has quail. Some mountains near frazier is what I've been told but never seen any.

M77,

Welcome to SCH and thank you for your service......The IV is a great place to start bird hunting.....Most the desert fringes of the farmland can have quail.....Doves same thing and they like wheat stubble.....Pheasant hunting is a possibility as well in the southern portion of the county.

Good luck

Imperial valley has everything and mckaines valley is good for quail. Make sure to buy duck stamps if u go to imperial lors of ducks.

bloodlover said:
Imperial valley has everything and McCain valley is good for quail. Make sure to buy duck stamps if u go to imperial lors of ducks.

And steel shot for ducks as well.................... ;)

steve, when do the honkers start moving around? I need to bag one, its on my bucket list.

If Cpen is where you will be then you will have great hunting on base for deer, coyote, ducks, and upland game. If the stumps is where you will be your looking as coyote, upland game and maybe deer. In any case both bases have a CDFW branch. If your going to be at the spec forces training area you will have deer, upland game, turkey, and will be right there at the D16 zone as well.

ivhunter said:
steve, when do the honkers start moving around? I need to bag one, its on my bucket list.

Historically, honkers start arriving somewhere around Thanksgiving.....What really triggers them though is the weather in Utah.

Back