Can you Hunt in County of Orange Public Land

PRS Paco

Jan 8, 2021
Hey all, I’m want to know if the county of orange owned land around black star canyon is open for hunting. I haven’t come upon a definitive answer and was hoping someone here could help me out. Thanks!

Attachments

• 3C8F3250-3E1A-4571-A1F5-0737E987CC2A.png
    3C8F3250-3E1A-4571-A1F5-0737E987CC2A.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
The are I’m looking at says the owner is the County of Orange and its CA government land.

Attachments

• 51C209EE-E6C8-4EA7-8789-949E0E87E5EC.png
    51C209EE-E6C8-4EA7-8789-949E0E87E5EC.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
I don't think County Owned land is huntable, only BLM or National Forest. Check with Game Warden to be sure

@PRS Paco
100% NO all that land is county park land and very much closed and patrolled by OCSD. OC parks has a no weapons ordnance so your violation will not just be trespass but weapons violation too. They hammer people who mess up.

as irvine co lets land go they give it to oc parks or the conservancy and its lost to us forever. No entering the kings land for us common folks.

The only land in OC you can hunt on is private land with permission or the Cleveland national forest. None of the land owners up there will let you hunt unless you have a relationship with them. Be careful not to cross pvt to get to CNF. The OCSD that patrols that area is wise to it and warnings are not given. The OC parks and the Conservancy are both anti hunting groups. They do not even let their own granola chewers in with out a guide.

sorry dude...

This is all protected land previously owned by Irvine Company and transferred to the county for management as part of the Irvine Ranch Open Space. Its essentially a network of parks and nature preserves and falls under the purview of OC Parks. It is a no-go for hunting (or even the procession of firearms for that matter). Its a shame too, I've seen some nice bucks hiking whiting ranch.

Here's the management plan.

As Steve said, if it ain't BLM or CNF chances are its no-go...

IRNLMap.jpg1611695327402.png

Attachments

• Black Star Canyon.JPG
    Black Star Canyon.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 19
imagine being James Irvine and having 100k acres to hunt. Ducks in the back bay and the site of the tustin airbase, deer in the hills along with quail all over.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I was lucky enough to have hunting access on the Whiting Ranch back when it was private. Good times is an understatement.

OC parks is a joke. They even pothole MTB trails and want people to ride under 10 mph, lol.

In the later 60s, my buddy and I use to go on depredation hunts on Irvine Ranch with a Game Warden supervisor. They allowed 25 hunters to hunt cottontail, jacks and ground squirrel, all you could take. The counts were impressive. Jacks and squirrels could be left where they lay, cottontail brought in. It was on a Sat. (?) afternoon, first come first served.
WE had a lot of fun and ate A Lot of cottons and young jacks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu