Cleveland National Forest, RAW questions

I believe that you can re-configure the weapon into a non-assault weapon by removing the features (ie. bullet button, etc.) that made it an "assault weapon" in the first place. Contact DOJ to make sure, but I think all you have to do is notify them that all the "illegal" features have been removed and that it is no longer an "assault weapon" by definition. Again, check with DOJ before you do anything. I just sent them an email asking that question, just for my own edification. When/if I hear back, I will post the answer.

Last edited:
Sometimes when I've needed to do a deep dive into the hunting regs for a clarification that was NOT contained in what's posted up on the CA DFG site... I just dove into the CCR's on Westlaw. (CCR = California Code of Regulations)

Then ya just drill down into the particular area of the CCR's the covers the topic you're interested in.

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Search/Index

Sometimes when I've needed to do a deep dive into the hunting regs for a clarification that was NOT contained in what's posted up on the CA DFG site... I just dove into the CCR's on Westlaw. (CCR = California Code of Regulations)

Then ya just drill down into the particular area of the CCR's the covers the topic you're interested in.

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Search/Index
That just sounds like work. Oh wait, that is what I do for work. :joy::joy:

Hrmm...$160 for non-resident license. Damn, now you put some thoughts in my head. Know a place where a bunch live.

You'd be surprised. My first one I shot (which unfortunately I didn't recover, even though I tracked him far), he meandered in after I'd finished using a mouth-call and gathered my pack and dropped down into this draw and was en route to next spot. Was going up this draw when "Doh!" I see him bopping along in the bottom of this draw trying up ahead of me trying to get himself down-wind of where I just had been at while blowing the call.

So: Wait a bit after you finally decide to stop calling, in case he's straggling on the way in. AND... most importantly... if you shoot him and he goes down, if he moves AT ALL shoot him again! It's INSANE the amount of pain they can take and still run! I shot him... he barrel-rolled mid-air... fell to the ground... was rocking back-and-forth a little bit, figure YES! I'd finally done it... then S.O.B. if he didn't get back up, turn to look back at me... then take off running. I figured yeah whatever like 40-50yds. Nope! I tracked his blood trail like 250yds! Down into a ravine! Even found where he'd hidden himself and laid down within a gnarled up Juniper. Until the trail finally just ran dry. So if you hit him? Hit him AGAIN!

I shot one with my bow, it bleed like a stuck pig, tracked it for about 200 yards before I found it, can’t believe how much blood it it spent before it died. I’ve shot them with my .243 and they don’t go any where.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I shot one with my bow, it bleed like a stuck pig, tracked it for about 200 yards before I found it, can’t believe how much blood it it spent before it died. I’ve shot them with my .243 and they don’t go any where.
Coyote with Bow, Nice!
The .243 shot, was that with a lead-free?

I hit a willy coyote with a 223 hollow point last year and he trucked it outa there before the dark times(non lead) , unbelievable. now 243 soft last couple years dead on the spot.

Reactions: TRICER
I hit a willy coyote with a 223 hollow point last year and he trucked it outa there before the dark times(non lead) , unbelievable. now 243 soft last couple years dead on the spot.
Lee I have shot a lot of Coyote with my 243 and TTSX not impressed with their performance on thin skinned animals. Typicaly they pencil right through. I am going to start loading Barnes varmint grenades they are lead free and built for varmints.

Last edited:
Lee I have shot a lot of Coyote with my 24: and TTSX not impressed with their performance on thin skinned animals. Typicaly they pencil right through. I am going to start loading Barnes varmint grenades they are lead free and built for varmints.
Right on, keep us posted,

Lee I have shot a lot of Coyote with my 24: and TTSX not impressed with their performance on thin skinned animals. Typicaly they pencil right through. I am going to start loading Barnes varmint grenades they are lead free and built for varmints.
Yeah, I kinda noticed that too when I'd gotten bored when Coyotes just wasn't happening, so then started popping Ground Squirrels. I was surprised that the .223 with soo much more energy that the .17 HMR, was just sort of pencilling thru like you say, Full Boar 50gr's w/ the Barnes TSX. But I just figured it was because, ya know, Squrrels would be soo much thinner, so it's interesting to hear that you've experienced it with coyotes too.

I use 222 Varmint Grenades for coyotes. (My dad handloads them.) Next time, just for fun, I'm going to take my 45-70.

Reactions: TRICER
@ilovesprig I've got that same Savage 93R17, except with a thicker bull bbl. LOVE that rifle. That butt-stock caddy worked perfect at raising my cheek-weld to just the right height too!

Reactions: ilovesprig
Hey guys, check the info you are putting out. Regarding the shooting by water comments. I got checked by a Game Warden a few years ago and was told I couldn't shoot over water. I thought this was BS. What do duck hunters do? Well, as it turns out, there is no state law prohibiting this (that I know of), BUT there is a CDF regulation prohibiting it...and I was on CDF land.
Now about the "assault weapon"...I did contact the California DOJ and it is permissible to unregister an "assault weapon" and re-configure it into a Kalifornication compliant weapon. You need to email [email protected] with your info and gun info and tell them you want to unregister the weapon by removing all the prohibited features from it and return it to a California compliant weapon. Good luck and happy hunting with your new semi-automatic 223 rifle.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu