Cleveland National Forest, RAW questions

@Larry are you missing them from that time in TJ?
Funny story.. My GrandMa had a tiny house in Ensenada, and during Summer vacations as a kid <9yo we'd go there and spend the Summer. I always remember how nasty TJ looked when we'd go thru it. So then when hit 18yo you'd hear all these people talking about going down to TJ. And I'd always be like "TJ? WTF would anybody wanna go to that shack-town for?" (Because you'd drive past this HUGE Shanty-town on the toll roads leaving out of it to go further South. Come to learn later on they all wanted to go there because apparently 18 was the legal drinking age over there, at least at that time, apparently.

Last edited:
BTW, The Burros question was just because I spotted several from Hwy 68 when going over the crest into Golden Valley.

Hrmm...$160 for non-resident license. Damn, now you put some thoughts in my head. Know a place where a bunch live.
Coyotes might be hard to hunt, but they are not hard to find. All you really need is a place where hunting isn't prohibited and I'll odds there are coyotes present. You might not see them, BUT THEY SEE YOU.

Reactions: sportyg
Funny story.. My GrandMa had a tiny house in Ensenada, and during Summer vacations as a kid <9yo we'd go there and spend the Summer. I always remember how nasty TJ looked when we'd go thru it. So then when hit 18yo you'd hear all these people talking about going down to TJ. And I'd always be like "TJ? WTF would anybody wanna go to that shack-town for?" (Because you'd drive past this HUGE Shanty-town on the toll roads leaving out of it to go further South. Come to learn later on they all wanted to go there because apparently 18 was the legal drinking age over there, at least at that time, apparently.
Yup. Much of my mis-spent youth was spent in clubs in TJ. The stories I could tell...

So, what is this about a weapon being a registered assault weapon? I did not realize you can register a rifle specifically as an "assault weapon." I know quite a few guys who hunt dogs with AR's. What's the story?

it’s just an AR-15. I Registered back in 2016 when the law when into affect. Should’ve never done it. Should’ve just modified I guess. But now it is considered a BBRAW. (Bullet Button Registered Assault Weapon) at least from the state of Commiefornia. Was wanting to take it Coyote hunting but sounds like that is a no go.

it’s just an AR-15. I Registered back in 2016 when the law when into affect. Should’ve never done it. Should’ve just modified I guess. But now it is considered a BBRAW. (Bullet Button Registered Assault Weapon) at least from the state of Commiefornia. Was wanting to take it Coyote hunting but sounds like that is a no go.
I'm curious to see the law on this. Like I said, I know several guys who coyote hunt with AR's.

Without a really long write up. In 2016 they passed a law that said if you have any of the below features you need to register it as an assault weapong or modify it so it doesn’t have the features.

A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
  • A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
  • A thumbhole stock.
  • A folding or telescoping stock.
  • A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
  • A flash suppressor.

Modify it to featureless and you should be good to go and you can hunt with it. My favorite gun for yotes, fast follow up shots.

i tried to convert it to PDF Yeti. See if this will work.

Attachments

• Assault Weapon Registration Guide (rev 2018-May-10b).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
I have been informed by a VERY knowledgeable person that BLM regulations specifically allow registered assault weapons on BLM land. No other place, but BLM land is OK. I will try to get the specific citation he was talking about and get back to you.

Last edited:
I have asked for more clarification, but BLM regulations plainly state that any LEGAL weapon may be used on BLM land. As long as an "assault rifle" is legally registered to the person holding it, it may be used to hunt on BLM land in California.

Reactions: TheGDog
I received a paper stating that it has been registered. I have a laminated copy I keep with me when I take it target shooting. There is also a data base that police can pull up to check it, I believe. It has to be transported in a locked container. The over zealous BLM ranger is what always worries me.

I checked with BLM and the Deputy State Director who stated that "BLM doesn't regulate hunting on public lands" and suggested I check with DFW, which I have done. You may use any LEGAL weapon to hunt with as long as it meets certain guidelines, such as (in the case of big game) using centerfire cartridges, non-lead, softnose or expanding bullets, etc. Basically, if a weapon is LEGALLY registered to you and is FULLY LEGAL in the eyes of the law (legally registered to you as an assault weapon) it MAY be used to hunt mammals in California. There are some restrictions on the possession and use of "assault weapons", but not using them for hunting isn't one of them. Go out and have a good time, but keep that paper with you!

I checked with BLM and the Deputy State Director who stated that "BLM doesn't regulate hunting on public lands" and suggested I check with DFW, which I have done. You may use any LEGAL weapon to hunt with as long as it meets certain guidelines, such as (in the case of big game) using centerfire cartridges, non-lead, softnose or expanding bullets, etc. Basically, if a weapon is LEGALLY registered to you and is FULLY LEGAL in the eyes of the law (legally registered to you as an assault weapon) it MAY be used to hunt mammals in California. There are some restrictions on the possession and use of "assault weapons", but not using them for hunting isn't one of them. Go out and have a good time, but keep that paper with you!
I figured as much. I spent about an hour yesterday trying to find a California statute or regulation which prohibited hunting with an assault rifle. I could not find anything. The only restrictions I found were the ones you mentioned, i.e centerfire, non-lead, etc.

Appreciate you guys digging into that. I couldn’t find anything either. It’s so hard to figure out these damn laws. Just trying to avoid being the test case. Ya I don’t take it anywhere without that paper. Thanks again.

Reactions: YETI

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu