close call Rattle Snake

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
Daughter in law was putting the chickens away and almost had a run in with this guy.
I dispatched it, with a shovel.
I have gutted it and skinned it. The snake skin will become part of my hat.
the meat will become indian spice.

Ghost

Attachments

• Rattle Snake.jpg
    Rattle Snake.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 38
Awesome! Bummer though that he was a threat and had to be put down. I love snakes I have 2 western diamond backs of my own, so if anyone is near me with a snake problem just let me know.

SoCalB3AST said:
Big rattle snake seen yesterday while scouting
Uhhhhh yup! That looks good to me. A belt or boots would be in his future.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Encounter two different breed while hunting deer at FHL last weekend. i think Mohave and pacific...
Still roaming the base, so be careful....

Eric pecan said:
Encounter two different breed while hunting deer at FHL last weekend. i think Mohave and pacific...

Probably not a Mojave Green, but doesn't matter......I hate 'em all...... :-\

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQFjABahUKEwigjtqn5LDHAhUGpYgKHUOxBHw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.californiaherps.com%2Fsnakes%2Fpages%2Fc.s.scutulatus.html&ei=2yzSVeC0F4bKogTD4pLgBw&usg=AFQjCNEOtYWEJ8YpYMwddzQanFb2dd04Xg&sig2=zp9Q_OApxpWNwNC0lRWgFg&bvm=bv.99804247,d.cGU

Attachments

• 220px-C_scutulatus_range.jpg
    220px-C_scutulatus_range.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 121
I have two encounter of the green one both at the base and have picture of it.
they have different scale pattern and very distinguishable.
hate them too.....

ilovesprig said:
Eric pecan said:

Probably not a Mojave Green, but doesn't matter......I hate 'em all...... :-\

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQFjABahUKEwigjtqn5LDHAhUGpYgKHUOxBHw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.californiaherps.com%2Fsnakes%2Fpages%2Fc.s.scutulatus.html&ei=2yzSVeC0F4bKogTD4pLgBw&usg=AFQjCNEOtYWEJ8YpYMwddzQanFb2dd04Xg&sig2=zp9Q_OApxpWNwNC0lRWgFg&bvm=bv.99804247,d.cGU

Steve

some people have been bit or seen them in mission trails and north county. but don't know if it's reliable facts.
it mostly in desert areas. but I would not chance it if it is. or just in general because medical cost can exceed $60k.
Green Minnes are bad news so I would keep vigilant
even for a diamond back or side winder. I been lucky all these years. I have had near misses as you can see from my photo in my yard and and on our access road. because we live in the rural area out in harbison cyn. diamond backs are every where out there.
most people I see hiking in tennis shoes with shorts. I bet we do not hear about all the people who that get bit.
I have seen 3-4 rattles this year in my neighborhood. one of the caveats living out here. I use to carry a small 22LR pistol with bird shot.(against the law now) but pellet guns are allowed.
pop them of if it got to close. I have has numerous run ins with these guys over the years. one bit my boot but did not penetrate, lucky for me.
just changing spark plugs then a rattle came at me with pissed off attitude. I jumped over the vehical and the little shit hit my boot.
that was it's last because it was taken out.

Ghost

Eric pecan said:
I have two encounter of the green one both at the base and have picture of it.
they have different scale pattern and very distinguishable.
hate them too.....

That's what I have heard they are moving in closer.
can we see the pic?

Thanks
Ghost

Just because they have a green tint to them doesn't make them a Mojave Green.....I killed one of the most beautiful emerald green rattlesnakes I've ever seen in Rancho Bernardo dove hunting......Probably a speckled or red DB.....The most common by far are our Southern Pacific's.....Also the most aggressive IMO.....They are showing signs of displaying both hemo & nero toxins.....Very dangerous, when bit.

What Types of Snakes Are Common in San Diego County?

There are four species of rattlesnakes found in San Diego County. The most common species is the Southern Pacific rattlesnake, which can be found in prairie or sage scrub areas as well as housing developments, parks, and even the beach.

The Red Diamond rattlesnake is the largest species in the county. Unlike the Southern Pacific, they prefer to live away from developed areas. However, as communities spread into open land, sightings are becoming more common.

Southwestern Speckled rattlesnakes are very shy and avoid populated areas, making them the least common species to be seen in Southern California.

Found only in the desert, the Colorado Desert Sidewinder is the smallest species in the area. These snakes have not been found living within our immediate area, but keep an eye out for them when traveling to the desert.

ps......I love King snakes...... ;D

Attachments

• images2P1Y0AY9.jpg
    images2P1Y0AY9.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 122
My family and I have seen side winders in Borego Desert, we have 75 acres over there. mean nasty little critters. bury them self's in the sand.

Attachments

• 09042203PD_sidewinder.jpg
    09042203PD_sidewinder.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 123

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu