close call Rattle Snake

all this talk about rattle snakes I purchased some new snake gaiters from cabelas today.
spooked my self, hahahahaha should get here before the opener. my whitewater snake chaps are to hot for this time of the year.

Ghost

Lee,

My daughter got me some snake gaiters for Christmas last year.....Really easy to use and I walked miles in them turkey hunting in New Mexico this year.....You'll really like them.

Attachments

• IMG_1097.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG
    906.5 KB · Views: 19
Seen a Mohave in San Clemente didn't know it was one until it striked side ways. First time I'd seen that then a herper friend of mine said most likely a Mohave

MJB said:
Seen a Mohave in San Clemente didn't know it was one until it struck sideways. First time I'd seen that then a herper friend of mine said most likely a Mohave

Mark,

So 'Greens" are the only rattlesnakes that strike sideways?.......Definitely a new one for me......... ;D

Attachments

• turkey hunt 4-19-12 003.JPG
    turkey hunt 4-19-12 003.JPG
    611.2 KB · Views: 21
OK did a little research and here is the scoop look at the head the scales are bigger on a mojave in between the eyes see attached.

Attachments

• GreenMojaveHead3.jpg
    GreenMojaveHead3.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 20
I was driving around the back country east san diego county and ran into a rattle no big deal right. one of the characteristic is a Mojave will curl up and stand it's ground. this snake looked pissed off and was curled up under a bush daring me to come after it. rattling like no tomorrow.
it was very intimidating, I could have blasted it but I left it alone. we went our separate ways.

most in counters with diamond backs, it usually haul ass and wants noting to do with me. typical but not always. just saying'
there's rumor the two may be cross breading but no proof or data to support it.
but my common sense approach is if it looks, and acts like one then it may be one.

Ghost

Just killed this an hour ago in the neighbors yard... kids were playing and it was rattling up a storm.

Attachments

• snake.JPG
    snake.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
DEW_0341 said:
Just killed this an hour ago in the neighbors yard... kids were playing and it was rattling up a storm.
That doesn't look small. Thank you for dispatching that devil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Took these in Mission Trails Park....

Attachments

• Rattle snakes 001.jpg
    Rattle snakes 001.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • Rattle snakes 003.jpg
    Rattle snakes 003.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • Rattle snakes 008.jpg
    Rattle snakes 008.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 16
I had an encounter the first time i hunted quail in the Brawley, El Centro area. Dog and i were working a brush line on the edge of a river bed. do was on one side of a bush and I was on the other. Freaking Rattler came out from under the bush charging me from about 15 feet away. super aggressive, no idea what kind it was. I had only ever seen a diamond back where I grew up. This one was delicious though...

Only other encounter was fishing walleye in Washington with my dad when I was about 10. Snake was swimming and decided it would rather be in the boat. Dad beat the shit out of it with a paddle...

CaptJgray said:
I had an encounter the first time i hunted quail in the Brawley, El Centro area. Dog and i were working a brush line on the edge of a river bed. do was on one side of a bush and I was on the other. Freaking Rattler came out from under the bush charging me from about 15 feet away. super aggressive, no idea what kind it was. I had only ever seen a diamond back where I grew up. This one was delicious though...

Only other encounter was fishing walleye in Washington with my dad when I was about 10. Snake was swimming and decided it would rather be in the boat. Dad beat the crap out of it with a paddle...

I got a laugh because dads have tendency to do that. it was funny, because he beat it with a paddle. tool at hand. hahahahahaha quote ( Dad beat the crap out of it with a paddle....)

there, I rewrote that because I did not write it clear. glad you guys where safe.

Ghost

Attachments

• GreenMojave1.jpg
    GreenMojave1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 80
Those are mating snakes very lucky to see that.......my buddy ran into one at night he killed it and did some dog training with it. The weird thing after it's head was cut off and pulled down to the truck it coiled and struck his thumb needless to say he freeked out even though he knew it had no head.....never heard of that

MJB said:
Those are mating snakes very lucky to see that.......my buddy ran into one at night he killed it and did some dog training with it. The weird thing after it's head was cut off and pulled down to the truck it coiled and struck his thumb needless to say he freeked out even though he knew it had no head.....never heard of that

Anytime I bag a rattler while dove, quail or rabbit hunting ill mix it in in my vest. Then I'll have a buddy empty my vest for me. Always good for a laugh

MurdaJ said:
MJB said:

Anytime I bag a rattler while dove, quail or rabbit hunting ill mix it in in my vest. Then I'll have a buddy empty my vest for me. Always good for a laugh

while I was gutting and skinning rattle snake , it was still moving. that was freaking me out. even thou the head was remove. it will give you the creeps

Ghost

well got my new whitewater gaiters. really heavy duty.
some pro's and cons.
I believe the straps could be better quality
but the gaiters are rugged

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Upland-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Upland-Gaiters-Chaps%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104665680/i/104056380/Whitewater-Outdoors-Diamondback-Snakeproof-Gaiters/1959574.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FMens-Upland-Gaiters-Chaps%2F104056380.uts

Time will tell
Ghost

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu