Co 3rd season

Jacobo2012

Oct 27, 2018
Took my first buck with a rifle and my second buck ever! Got up as high as we could opening morning to a meadow below the top of a mountain. I spotted two does out feeding chasing each other around. Then two more does and then two bucks! A descent 3x3 and this great 4x4! We get up to the tree Line and the buck is about 500 yards away! I try to sneak across the meadow that had lots of little valleys in it. I get to another little treee line and range him again at 400. The does start going up some steep nasty stuff and around a bend and he starts to folllow. I rush to get my bipod set up, kneel down and rush to find him in the crosshairs. I figure he’s about 420-430 because he’s following the does around the Bend. The last doe goes around the bend and he stops for a second and I think to myself if I don’t shoot now I may never see this buck again so I squeeze the trigger and thwack! He rolls about 30 yards down the steep mountain he got up I send two more follow up shots. Couldn’t tell if I hit or not. I get across the valleys in the meadow where I last saw him and see a doe come back and look right where the buck is in some oak brush. I hurry up and finish him off as he was hurt bad! I got to about 50 yds and got it done ASAP
I am so excited about this guy! I set the bar pretty high
dee5100ba03e657d0ab8cc9be5dad3e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done
What rifle, caliber and bullet?

Thank you. Thompson center Venture I believe in 7mm-08 using hornady GMX 139grain
I actually was able to find one of the bullets while quartering it out. I’ll have to take a picture and post it on here

Reactions: NBK
Great buck and hunt for sure! I seriously need to hunt deer out of state...I have drawn the last couple of years and not been able to go.

Reactions: Jacobo2012
Great buck and hunt for sure! I seriously need to hunt deer out of state...I have drawn the last couple of years and not been able to go.

If you can make it out I’d recommend it!
Nothing like getting out and seein new country

Reactions: NBK
Congratulations! Good work. I love hunting Colorado, look forward to hunting that state every year. I hunted third season as well passed on a lot of bucks and was after something special and came home empty handed.

Reactions: Jacobo2012

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu