CO Draw Deadline 4/2

I put in for points for deer, pronghorn, but I put into the draw for Cow Elk. I have a landowner who charges me a couple hundred for a trespass fee to get to a known elk herd. Freezer filler!

Reactions: TRICER
Depends how you look at it you use to have to front the tag fees now you just have to have a license and pay $9 per species and if you draw then you pay the tag fee. I think the license was like $80

New for this year... you have to pay for a point. If you opt out you will not get a point. Total BS... Ed F

New for this year... you have to pay for a point. If you opt out you will not get a point. Total BS... Ed F

Yeah the $100 point for sheep/goat/moose bothers me. The rest of the species I felt were reasonable but that’s a lot of money. And for the first three years you’re not even eligible to draw. By the fourth year when you can potentially draw, but likely won’t, you’re 1200 bucks in per species. That’s a hard no for me.

Yes. A lot of guys are saying they aren't going to pay the fee, but who knows in actuality. I paid. I figure in 3 years when they switch it again I would rather not be behind on points.

Yes. A lot of guys are saying they aren't going to pay the fee, but who knows in actuality. I paid. I figure in 3 years when they switch it again I would rather not be behind on points.
Exactly what I thought as well .

Yeah the $100 point for sheep/goat/moose bothers me. The rest of the species I felt were reasonable but that’s a lot of money. And for the first three years you’re not even eligible to draw. By the fourth year when you can potentially draw, but likely won’t, you’re 1200 bucks in per species. That’s a hard no for me.
Wouldn’t it be 400 per species 1200 for all three species to be able to even draw a tag ?

Wouldn’t it be 400 per species 1200 for all three species to be able to even draw a tag ?

No. You are only handicapped for 3 years. You can pull a tag with 3 PP and 0 weighted. I thought the same previously, but look at the draw results. People pull tags with 0 weighted points.

That means that years 4 and 5 mean the same thing. If they dont divide by 0, then that is the same as 1 weighted point.

Reactions: baboltin
No. You are only handicapped for 3 years. You can pull a tag with 3 PP and 0 weighted. I thought the same previously, but look at the draw results. People pull tags with 0 weighted points.

That means that years 4 and 5 mean the same thing. If they dont divide by 0, then that is the same as 1 weighted point.

WTF!...Now I know why I don't do this........:scream:

ps...$1000.00 combo tag in Montana....Any elk, any deer, upland, and fishing....And a drawing that everyone gets drawn (heard last that did not happen tho)

Lol. Yes, thank you. 1200 for all species on the fourth year. Nicapopopolis is also correct that if you draw on the fourth year (however unlikely) you wouldn't pay for a point.

Reactions: baboltin
WTF!...Now I know why I don't do this........:scream:

ps...$1000.00 combo tag in Montana....Any elk, any deer, upland, and fishing....And a drawing that everyone gets drawn (heard last that did not happen tho)

Steve, that is just for sheep, goat, and moose.

You can hunt elk and deer in CO every year for about the same price you mentioned for a non resident.

I've been applying for sheep and goat in Colorado for over 25 years... and have not drawn a tag. A combination of bad luck and a bad draw system. The number of tags has dropped and the number of applicants has gone through the roof. The changes in the last 2 years have skyrocketed the # of applicants 700% in some cases. Now the point fee is just a racket for F&G $$$. I hate be a Debby Downer.... but it is what it is. Colorado is a great place to hunt but I would discourage you from getting involved in the sheep/goat/moose rat race. Ed F

I've been applying for sheep and goat in Colorado for over 25 years... and have not drawn a tag. A combination of bad luck and a bad draw system. The number of tags has dropped and the number of applicants has gone through the roof. The changes in the last 2 years have skyrocketed the # of applicants 700% in some cases. Now the point fee is just a racket for F&G $$$. I hate be a Debby Downer.... but it is what it is. Colorado is a great place to hunt but I would discourage you from getting involved in the sheep/goat/moose rat race. Ed F
That’s why I don’t do any of the “special” hunts. Ed do you have points in UT for Buffalo? Have you seen that Henry mountain bow hunt they have now. I think you can draw it with about 18 points. Randy Newburgh hunted it last season it looked great free range buffalo with a bow.

Yeah, I have 15... I'll draw here in Az before Utah. A good friend of mine shot his last year in Utah... with a recurve. This whole point thing is getting worse every year... frustrating for me. Ed F

Ed, I also feel like the paying for points change could have been due to the 700% increase you were talking about. Maybe it was CPWs knee jerk reaction for the complaints... and revenue of course.

Fronting the money for the tag kept people out of the draw, take that away and everyone applies.

Turning on the pt fee may dwindle down that 700% increase of people because now they have to pay to get out of the weighted points handicap if they only applied for the 2 "free" years.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu