Cold smoked fresh bluefin tuna

Just saw this and when I saw cold smoker I wondered if what I had would work then I realized that your using the Rec Tec smoke box. i have the same set up can't wait to try it ive only done cheese so far in mine.

Reactions: NBK
Man oh man looks great. I'll give that one a try. My brine consist of, 2 cups water, apple juice and brown sugar. 1/2 cup honey, soy sauce, kosher salt. 1/8 cup molasses, 1/8 cup Tuong ot toi chili sauce. After that I pretty much follow what you did. I don't like to ruin it with heavy smoke so I use either apple or alder. I tell you one thing for sure, it sure goes over real good on the boats.

Looks great, John....The roomie caught a bunch of bluefin this week-end....Damn, is it good.... :yum
Does he work all I see is him playing all over the country and fishing? I need to go to work for his company

The trick to the entire process is to dry the fish properly prior to smoking. This keeps the fat inside the chunk. There you have it. The magic trick is revealed...

Reactions: JakeSCH
It needs to form a pellicle when drying. Like NBK I use a fan to speed up process. You can tell it's ready when the fish is tacky to the touch.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu