Colorado turkey rendezvous

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
The crew is getting back together from CA, OH, and UT and meeting in central CO to chase some strutters. This will be the 3rd time back out. First-year was a big learning lesson where we struggled with bad weather. Last year was a dream with all of us tagging out and me tagging my first banded bird. Can't wait to see what this year brings.

2021 Crew:

2021 co turkeys.jpg

2022:

A Bird 22.jpg

s bid 22.jpg

My bird 22.jpg

Good luck, Adam............... :blush:

Steve! I could use a little expert guidance!

Here is the plan:
#1. Start where we all killed last year and branch out from there? Check historical roost trees as well?

#2. I located a nice flock in early Nov on my elk hunt. It's a bit of a hike but probably a good area to try now?

Reactions: sportyg
Steve! I could use a little expert guidance!

Here is the plan:
#1. Start where we all killed last year and branch out from there? Check historical roost trees as well?

#2. I located a nice flock in early Nov on my elk hunt. It's a bit of a hike but probably a good area to try now?

Adam,

Mountain birds (hens) move with the weather and habitat changes...The place I hunt in Montana has no birds till spring...They winter about 7-8 miles away...Utah birds move as the snow level changes or where they can get to food & water...The area we've talked about in New Mexico is more arid...So, they pretty much use the same roost year after year...What's the elevation where you're hunting?...Lots of snow?

With that said, I would always go with the old fishing motto, "You've got to fish, where the fish are"...And, that would be where you found them last year at this time...Your other spot may have been a wintering spot, but it's worth a look...Time is always a restraint on these kind of trips...Burning a day on a big walk has to be judged after you get there...Remember dispersal is starting late most everywhere in the west...So, there's a good chance that they're birds where you saw them in November.

Good luck

Reactions: 180ls1
Back home now but I can give some play by play.

We went out Thursday and I took on the big hike first thing where I spotted fall birds. No luck. Evening comes around and we head over to where the Jakes were. Boom gobble. Bird was on private though. We quickly scramble to get around that and setup to reel him in. I switched to the titanium pot call and he took the bait.

Up over the rise he comes and starts persocoping really hard at 50. My buddy insists I shoot. I let it fly but end up dusting him, the gun does not have a turkey choke (big mistake).

So I take off running after him only to go crashing down. I tore my hammy and hammered my bad knee. The knee probably needs surgery. Luckily I gimped my way out and we just left the bird be.

IMG_4538.jpeg

Damn dude.. Hard core Turkey hunting..go easy buddy..mammal season is coming.. ouch

WITW Adam,

I thought only us old guys did $hit like that (falling)....Get better....AND, GET A FRIGGING TURKEY CHOKE.... :joy:

Big ouch, never go running in thick brush if it is down hill. Next time slow down and use that trekking pole.

Well, while I was busy acting like a pirate my buddy was putting in work. Ended up stumbling into some birds and laid the smack down. The Tom I shot as was the only one that would consistently talk. I think we timed the hunt a little too late and they were shut down compared to the prior two years. I am still not convinced he didn’t hit it with the truck. Ugly bird alert! It actually rolled into a creek.

IMG_7339.jpegIMG_7339.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu