Cottontails

Yep.. I rarely shoot my .22LR anymore (much prefer my .17HMR) but I'm comfy with it out to about 50+ on rabbits. Past that I want my 17 laser beam. I'd say swap out your optic for a rimfire scope but the red dot might be fun for tracking running bunnies like open sights.
I have a Leupold VX Freedom scope on my 6.5CM. Could just swap with that...

I'm w/SurfNHuntSD, I'll shoot my .17HMR out to 100y easily on rabbits.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLerch
You can go a long time with no food. There is no where in so cal that I can see you getting lost more than a day. Even that is a stretch Water and shelter should be your top priority in all survival situations.
I’ve gotten lost dove hunting in so cal many times. I walk out 20 yards to pick up a dove, get turned around, forget which side of the field I was sitting on, next thing I know I’m in the chocolate mountains. By the time I wander back down they’re lined up for the duck opener at Wister.

Hey everyone, can you give any tips as to which trail heads to use in the san mateo wilderness? Not asking anyone for their spots but just which trailhead to use and be able to take firearms on the trail to access the wilderness area. I have a map of the CNF. I am coming from OC. Thanks.

10/22 with lead bullets? Here comes Mr. Greenjeans, he'll explain it to you.

I opened rabbit season this am, they have about eaten all my Zinnias, I usually start to fill the freezer this time of year, 22cal pellet gun, great for the Squirrels also. 36 so far in the back yard. Used to shoot them with my bow but a lost arrow for each rabbit gets expensive

Hey everyone, can you give any tips as to which trail heads to use in the san mateo wilderness? Not asking anyone for their spots but just which trailhead to use and be able to take firearms on the trail to access the wilderness area. I have a map of the CNF. I am coming from OC. Thanks.
Send me a pm and I’ll try to help you.

I opened rabbit season this am, they have about eaten all my Zinnias, I usually start to fill the freezer this time of year, 22cal pellet gun, great for the Squirrels also. 36 so far in the back yard. Used to shoot them with my bow but a lost arrow for each rabbit gets expensive
They are eating our pumpkins, sugar cane and carrots in the garden. I’m here by santiago canyon in Orange. So many rabbits.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu