Crazy Eurasians

jtay56

Sep 23, 2013
Hemet
Well if any of you are like me, you've put what you thought was a good shot on a Eurasian only to see a shower of feathers and a bird fly away. Well after what I saw last night I feel a little but better about my shooting abilities and have more respect for these birds.

While cleaning my birds from a good day at my honey hole it found two birds with something a little different about them.

Scar tissue. Scar tissue from previous gun shots. Complete with feathers embedded in the scar tissue. 9c4d393cd6bd7f0e78ee911cc28dd7aa.jpg
That large yellowish area is all scar tissue. That particular bird had scar tissue from at least two pellets. Possibly three. Another bird had a single scar tissue section.

These are some hearty birds. I've seen mourning dove knocked down by much less.

Anybody else seen this with ol collered necks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! That's crazy. Awhile back I went out for euros with some guys on here and we had a similar deal. More than a few euros ate some shot and kept on going. Pretty amazing actually how they'd eat shot, puff some feathers, stutter and keep flying. We thought they'd go die somewhere else but I guess not. Next time I go I'm thinking of using #6 shot instead of the 7.5. And maybe a tighter choke for the far fliers. They're hefty birds all right.

Looks tasty.................lol

If you really want to hunt a tough bird, try band-tails......Most shots are far, they have loose feathers, and they have large breasts......Puff!......And away they go...... ;D

ilovesprig said:
Looks tasty.................lol

If you really want to hunt a tough bird, try band-tails......Most shots are far, they have loose feathers, and they have large breasts......Puff!......And away they go...... ;D
I can't wait for them to open Dec 20.. while looking for deer I found a giant flock of bandtails that've been hanging around. I'm gonna put in my xtra full choke and take em down!

This happened to me last year hunting Mournings. I went to breast one and saw a lump, I peeled it back and there was an orb. It almost looked like a pistachio shell with layers. Thinking it was some lead poisoning from some pass through shot with calcification all around the outside. Per everyone on here's recommendations, I didn't eat that bird. ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu