Crowded but managed to limit

Hale_Abels1

Oct 31, 2014
Hunted bandtails at my normal spot, there is usually one or two people in the area while hunting but never this many. Showed up at 6:00 to hike back into my spot and wait for the sun to rise. Second that sun popped up they started pouring out from each direction, I saw a lot of bids on a quick scouting mission a while back, but didn't know there was that many coming through. Missed a few early shots on some birds, lots of really high flying birds my buddy hit one right off the bat with the first small group that came trough, then just cut his second down on the hell mary shot, but once the pack was off it was game time for me, Big flock came from the west, flew in high then dove down to land in a dead tree about 20 yrds to my southeast. Suckers game right in about 10 yrds above me hit my first one stopped him dead then, followed up with the last two shots on second bird that came in behind him. good thing i had my dog it was a struggle on some to find in the thickets. Tons of fun, but just hope it was something to do with the holidays or that its friday because it was crazy packed.

Attachments

• IMG_3193.jpg
    IMG_3193.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 46
it was probably crowded cuz some newbie posted his pictures next to the road where it was easily recognized ! hats what I heard. :'(

steveo007 said:
it was probably crowded cuz some newbie posted his pictures next to the road where it was easily recognized ! hats what I heard. :'(

I wouldn't feel to bad about that Steve. It's not exactly a secret spot... Besides, you didn't name any names and you took the photo down promptly.

there were a ton of mournings and band-tails where I was bow hunting for deer yesterday. No deer, plenty of birds. I think I'll start hunting what's available (and legal) wherever I happen to be...

ilovesprig said:
Nice going.............The crowds keeps them flying............. ;)

They definitely do, but have large groups of idiots peppering each other and not knowing which direction they are shooting can take some fun away. None less had a great time

Nice going congrats.. Crowds can be like that When the IV opens for dove each year it is always that way..

I've been thinking about hunting BTs next year because I'm always looking for something new to try... Everyone talking about how crowded it gets makes me not want to go. I like to hunt to get out in the wilderness and to get away from people.... :(

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu