Crowley

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
Anyone got intel on hunting Crowley? My in-laws have a place right across from the lake and I would love to get up there a time or two this season

I have been duck hunting at the lake . Sportsman 's paradice up that way !

Any tips for a newbie to the lake? Decoys? I’ll take any intel at this point. I’ll be heading up there in July to spend some time up there.

Epic old school pics. Careful on the lake - the fisherman may give you some trouble especially during the early season while its still warm ish. If we have another winter like this one don't even try, lake was completely frozen over until about three weeks ago.

And don't be like the goons walking on the ice, a quick way to die in those freezing waters.

Reactions: CLarson757
Epic old school pics. Careful on the lake - the fisherman may give you some trouble especially during the early season while its still warm ish. If we have another winter like this one don't even try, lake was completely frozen over until about three weeks ago.

And don't be like the goons walking on the ice, a quick way to die in those freezing waters.

Worth looking near the hot springs for warmer water tributaries and jump shooting?

I’ll shoot straight with you. If you need to ask about the lake on a forum (amazing that forums are still around in general), it’s going to be a steep learning curve for you. Zero cover on most years. Mud flats. Tricky access to get gear in. You better have a snow mobile or snow shoes if you actually want to hunt it when it gets good. I know 3 Orange County boys who got snowed in and had to be rescued this year. Should’ve stuck to the slopes in mammoth and paved roads. Buddy up with a local who knows what they’re doing is the best advice I can give you.

A lot of ducks in the owens valley but probably one of the hardest places to hunt successfully. Crowley will hold a lot of ducks before it freezes but there’s no cover around the lake and when you shoot once they will just go out in the middle and raft all day. It actually gets hunted pretty hard by the locals. The upper owens has ducks on it too but the only way to jump them is to belly crawl through the snow and hope they didn’t float around the bend by the time you get to them. It’s a fun place to hunt but don’t expect to kill a lot of ducks

Reactions: CLarson757
I’ll shoot straight with you. If you need to ask about the lake on a forum (amazing that forums are still around in general), it’s going to be a steep learning curve for you. Zero cover on most years. Mud flats. Tricky access to get gear in. You better have a snow mobile or snow shoes if you actually want to hunt it when it gets good. I know 3 Orange County boys who got snowed in and had to be rescued this year. Should’ve stuck to the slopes in mammoth and paved roads. Buddy up with a local who knows what they’re doing is the best advice I can give you.

The entire reason I created this post is to gather as much intel (like you provided) as possible. Now I have an idea of what I can expect and what to prepare myself for.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu