Crows this weekend

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Hey,
Anyone going for crows now that the season opened? (Also there is always a chance that doves or pigeons will pass through)
This Saturday I'll be out in the field early and then grabbing breakfast at the Lake Henshaw Resort. Will anyone else be going there for breakfast?

Last year I tried to meet up with Steve007 but I didn't get my limit and stayed out in the field all morning.

me and my buddy went up Sunday, burrrrr cold 34°, saw a total of 12 pigeon all out of range, brought the fox pro not a crow in sight, better than sitting home on the couch!

.20161218_134803.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone limit? DanSanDiego and I went up for opener and had some flocks fly over but were about 100 yards + overhead.. no luck. Heard a ton of shots nearby though, so I figure others must've scored.

Anyone limit? DanSanDiego and I went up for opener and had some flocks fly over but were about 100 yards + overhead.. no luck. Heard a ton of shots nearby though, so I figure others must've scored.
or they were lobbing some desperation shots!

I think all of the crows live in suburbia now. Thousands fly over my house every day at dusk. And they're tearing up everyone's lawns looking for grubs.

Drove around looking to hunt quail today and some opportunistic crows. Drove south but the highway to NF was red in traffic. Wasted 1 hour there. Drove north to another NF and it starts to drizzle. Another highway blocked with road construction. Waiting to pass through and almost got wrecked by someone not paying attention (note: when stopped in middle of road- hazard lights on). Onward to hunt. Walked around in drizzle, nothing. Drove to a recent burn area that had lots of crows a month or 2 ago. Nothing but a high flying group of 5 doing circles. I figured it was the rain got them hunkered down. Drove home and had to detour through Chino and found them. All over the place with the doves, and pigeons. Perched, feeding, flying, you name it. In the RAIN!

Should have gone target shooting today.

Ravens for the most part fly in small flocks or pairs......Ravens are noticeably larger, especially their beak.....They have a rounded tail and crows have a square tail.....Ravens will come to calls, but not nearly as readily as a "murder" of crows.

Thanks for the response. Regarding calls...what do you guys use...crow in distress? I have an Icotec electronic call. Pretty limited with sounds. Included sounds are rabbit distress.

When I call crows, a feeding call works the best. Just make sure you killl the scout otherwise your stand is done. Also get into the cover to hide yourself crows have great vision and will bust you even if you hide in the shadows.

All I see are Ravens here one of my jagd's killed one, since then she bays them when she sees them......damn dog!

When I shot crows a lot, I used a hand call (I can still call them sum bitches in with it.....lol)......With the advent of electric calls, crow in distress has been best for me......I almost always use a feathered owl decoy with a couple of feathered crow decoys.

ps......Back then there was a 15 cent bounty on crows.

.fish fry 7-21-12 014.JPG

Band tails season ends on Sunday evening. It used to be a very compelling season. Now there are lots of trucks in the well known spots but no pigeons. I really hope that the pigeon population rebounds from their parasite condition (and can eat acorns again).

It is a season with as much following as the super bowl (slight exaggeration but not by much).

I've been trying to get out a second time this year but it is doubtful at this point.

Crows may not be as tasty but their season goes longer, so I may need to settle for crow-cabobs.

Good luck to all.

Back