D-16 Tag Punched

QuePasaJames

Nov 8, 2016
After reading about @HATCHET1 's hunt, I can't top that adventure, so I'll make this short.

I went out Thursday of opening week for a solo "morning hunt" with little expectation. New place that I've never hunted, only E-scouted the area. It turned into a 12-hour day with a brutal pack out! Sore legs, sore shoulders, and a massive grin all the way back to the truck.

The day started by dropping into a canyon. 20 minutes into the hike, I spotted a lone doe above me on a hillside, and I knew then the E-scouting payed off. I decided to post up on a different hill, pull out the tripod and glass to see if a buck would show up somewhere around her. After a while when I realized she was alone and she headed uphill to bed on the north side, I started glassing in other directions. About an hour later, as the sun was working down an east-facing hill, I spot the glistening hide of a deer. As I look closer, I notice that giant dark unibrow and knew instantly that it was a buck, and he had company; 2 does right next to him. In short order, I packed my gear and work uphill to their level, staying hidden behind a hill. As I crest the ridge, I slowly moved forward, pulling out the binos every few steps to try and catch a glimpse of something. Eventually one comes into view, and then all 3, up and feeding. The buck was fixated on one of the does, following her every move (not aggressively, but also not leaving her side).

That morning, I watched them get up and bed 3 times until they settled for a long bed. During all that, I inched my way closer every time their heads turned away. Because I was in open country and there was very little cover while moving in closer, the stalk took over 3 hours of baking in direct sunlight. I made it to 210 yards across one drainage from the group and settled my rifle on a rock. The buck was bedded, eyes closed, completely passed out. I send it with my .243 and the rest is history. I see crashing in the brush directly below where he was bedded. The 2 does run off, with no buck to be seen. I walked into the bedding area and found him tangled up in some brush. He went about 10 yards.

I was short for time cause I told my wife I could watch our daughter while she went out to dinner with some friends. Left with no other choice, I quartered and packed that whole damn deer on my back and hiked uphill 2.5 miles back to the truck. Fun, but also not fun!

1 day of hunting this season, and just like that, I’m tagged out for D-16! Next stop: Arkansas for Thanksgiving whitetail.

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

Hell ya dude!! All those points in the 16 will get ya dead quick!! Strong work !!!

Reactions: QuePasaJames

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu