D ZONE ARCHERY OPENER....

:joy::joy::joy: Yes the problem is take those guys out from desert , also 10 hunters every weekend try desert side witn no luck , you see this buck on cam 1 time every 40 days.
You want kill big buck go behind observatory they are there all people knows where they are.

Sun-up to Sun-down hunkered down in my natural blind in the shade several different overnighters this week (took off PTO for it)... in 95F... and absolutely no animals passed by. It was bleepin' miserable.

Sun-up to Sun-down hunkered down in my natural blind in the shade several different overnighters this week (took off PTO for it)... in 95F... and absolutely no animals passed by. It was bleepin' miserable.

Are you sitting water?

Meh... the "miserable" had to do with the combination of which undergarment, which hunting pants I had on, combined with it being a Tripod chair with a triangle sit surface. My "Backside" and more my inner-thigh region was so raw from the sit... where the two sides of the triangle were pushing the pants seems into me while on the sit from the edges of the seat surface. I tried layering it with the Z-Lite sit pad, it helped a little, but not much. And the humidity was on the higher side.

On the positive side though, I lost about 7-8 pounds. (It's a decent 5-mile hike in).

I dunno... from the sounds I was hearing... (and from finding a .22LR LRN in my 2017 deer from that spot) I'm starting to have a hunch the nearby private property *may* be either poaching them or shooing them away. It's just a hunch though.

Last edited:
Nah a doe it was his first deer. Super pumped for him hopefully @AbeLincoln will put the story up this weekend. He definitely took a lesson from hatchet on this one. Got it done!
Got it all quartered and skinned tonight gonna process it in the morning. She was old big doe lots of fat. Definitely some healthy deer this year with all the food out there.

Are you sitting water?

No. Not exactly. I say not exactly because there is a private property nearby with horses... so I know they have water in there though. And several breaks in the fence line that they cross thru.

On one of my early scouting missions a few years back now, I just brought in bivvy and air pad only and slept open-air (which I later learned what a dangerous mistake that was after viewing trailcam pics of MtnLion passing by that spot at 2-3am, Eek!). While sleeping open air... during the night you'd hear their hound protective-barking various times throughout the night. I figure it was barking at the deer coming in to drink from the horse troughs most likely.

The other thought I've had is that perhaps with all the rain and the resultant massive growth it created this year... that perhaps it makes them less dependent on returning to that private property to forage for their acorns this year. At least not yet anyway.

But this place isn't like they pass by every single day either. I just have to play a numbers game and keep putting my body out there and just make sure I don't mess up when an opportunity finally presents itself.

It just sucks because the last two times I got it done nice and early in the season.

No. Not exactly. I say not exactly because there is a private property nearby with horses... so I know they have water in there though. And several breaks in the fence line that they cross thru.

On one of my early scouting missions a few years back now, I just brought in bivvy and air pad only and slept open-air (which I later learned what a dangerous mistake that was after viewing trailcam pics of MtnLion passing by that spot at 2-3am, Eek!). While sleeping open air... during the night you'd hear their hound protective-barking various times throughout the night. I figure it was barking at the deer coming in to drink from the horse troughs most likely.

The other thought I've had is that perhaps with all the rain and the resultant massive growth it created this year... that perhaps it makes them less dependent on returning to that private property to forage for their acorns this year. At least not yet anyway.

But this place isn't like they pass by every single day either. I just have to play a numbers game and keep putting my body out there and just make sure I don't mess up when an opportunity finally presents itself.

It just sucks because the last two times I got it done nice and early in the season.
If you’re going to sit a blind this early in the season I’d find water or a heavily used trail to water. Otherwise get on your glass. My 2 cents. The mountain lion isn’t interested in you, and if it was a tent wouldn’t deter it.

Nah a doe it was his first deer. Super pumped for him hopefully @AbeLincoln will put the story up this weekend. He definitely took a lesson from hatchet on this one. Got it done!
Got it all quartered and skinned tonight gonna process it in the morning. She was old big doe lots of fat. Definitely some healthy deer this year with all the food out there.
Nice.. congrats to him. Eatin' good in the neighborhood

If you’re going to sit a blind this early in the season I’d find water or a heavily used trail to water. Otherwise get on your glass. My 2 cents. The mountain lion isn’t interested in you, and if it was a tent wouldn’t deter it.

The area of that sit, glass doesn't really do you much good. At most you've got 100yds line of sight in any particular direction due to the thickness.

I'll be trying a more spot & stalk approach on another area I found earlier this year that does have a run-off of water cutting thru it. That place is much more open but with lots of clumps of taller bushes so you could conceivably stalk something there given enough time. Not all covered with "potato chips" under every step like this place is.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu