D ZONE ARCHERY OPENER....

Spent another weekend up in D14. Saw a few bucks but all were off in this distance. Had one spooked into me at 40 yards by another hunter, but he ended up behind an oak tree. I went one way around the tree, he went the other way and walked off before I get around to him. So inconsiderate.

Saturday night, I was hunting a spot where we had seen a few bucks cross a road and head up into the hills at dusk. I was set up facing downhill at a spot where three game trails converged. At about 15 minutes before the expiration of legal shooting time (it was really getting dark by then), I thought I heard another hunter coming out of the woods behind me. I looked uphill over my shoulder to "hush" him and was face to face with a beautiful 3 x 3 buck!! He did not see me and passed no more than 5 feet from me, but there was no way I could bring my bow up and turn around before he disappeared down the trail. I must have looked like one of the Keystone Cops trying to get turned around and see if I could follow him down trail but he was gone. :joy: :joy:

Now I'm trying to decide whether to head back up there again for another weekend or stay home and hunt D16....

Reactions: BBH and TRICER
Spent another weekend up in D14. Saw a few bucks but all were off in this distance. Had one spooked into me at 40 yards by another hunter, but he ended up behind an oak tree. I went one way around the tree, he went the other way and walked off before I get around to him. So inconsiderate.

Saturday night, I was hunting a spot where we had seen a few bucks cross a road and head up into the hills at dusk. I was set up facing downhill at a spot where three game trails converged. At about 15 minutes before the expiration of legal shooting time (it was really getting dark by then), I thought I heard another hunter coming out of the woods behind me. I looked uphill over my shoulder to "hush" him and was face to face with a beautiful 3 x 3 buck!! He did not see me and passed no more than 5 feet from me, but there was no way I could bring my bow up and turn around before he disappeared down the trail. I must have looked like one of the Keystone Cops trying to get turned around and see if I could follow him down trail but he was gone. :joy: :joy:

Now I'm trying to decide whether to head back up there again for another weekend or stay home and hunt D16....
Thats awesome all the bucks you’re seeing up in D14, I can’t wait for the rifle season.

I Saw many big buck in D14 in last years when I was fishing santa ana creek or bear creek all big muleys also many does, the problem is the terrain you need to be in good shape to hike that mountains.
I love that mountains great views.

I'm a engine captain on the Angeles took out a st

Nice, I just came back from an assignment with C70.
Had to come back early because I have medicals with a municipal dept. in a couple of days and the guys went up north today.
On the bright side, I can grab my bow and go back to the mountain and check some spots we drove by... I am not familiar with D11 so it will be nice to get back there and explore.

Man... IDK where are those bucks!!!!!
I only know of a doe taken with an A22 ( which I will go after next season). I hunted a total of 8 days and hiked at least 20 miles. All I saw were does... fat ones... so I am coming back on October 26.
So far... bucks 8 D&D 0...

5 more days till d12 archery opens, i think it is the latest open in the state....... Had to give you D14, 16, and 19 guys time to scare them into the desert :)
[/QUOTE

If you have a d-12 tag, I wish you the best of luck there are some huge bucks out there!

In my little circle of hunters 2 does and 2 bucks were taken in D16. Two of the bucks were taken in the last 4 days. Seems like there are a lot of deer out there and there have been some big bucks spotted. These deer were taken in 3 different locations. Three of the deer were peoples first deer ever.

In my little circle of hunters 2 does and 2 bucks were taken in D16. Two of the bucks were taken in the last 4 days. Seems like there are a lot of deer out there and there have been some big bucks spotted. These deer were taken in 3 different locations. Three of the deer were peoples first deer ever.
180+?

Reactions: BOWUNTR and TRICER
5 more days till d12 archery opens, i think it is the latest open in the state....... Had to give you D14, 16, and 19 guys time to scare them into the desert :)
Good luck sir. I'll be out there by Friday afternoon.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu