D11 Quail

issue_1

Mar 14, 2018
Los Angeles
New to hunting and First time chasing quail. After hours and hours of onX scouting I finally went out and found (after a long drive) that many roads shown on maps are blocked/gated, some CA State land forbids firearms and other CA land forbids hunting. Decided to stick to BLM and NF and found another spot in Angeles and spent last Monday walking in the bushes. Found some old deer bones (I think) and came across a guzzler. Watched a Coopers hawk swoop down on what looked like finches. Lots of what looks to me like Quail dens at the base of some larger shrubs and trees but no quail or tracks that I could see. Walked the hills from 11am to 4pm and saw a cotton tail, jack and finally flush a covey of 5. I was pretty excited and missed a bad shot as I chased em up a hill but decided not to shoot em since the covey seemed small and the area looked like it should be holding more birds. Packed out some trash and watched the sun go down.
Think I'm hooked. Looking to head up to the canebrake area or up toward Lonepine after this weeks rain to get my first bird before season ends. I found snake guards were clumsy and not sure if snakes are out when it's this cold? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy new year

Cool.. yea quail can be frustrating but that first covey rise will hook you. On your comment regarding CA state land, aside from CDFW Areas there really isn't any state land open to hunting/shooting so stick to BLM and NF lands. As for snakes, they're really not out much this time of year. Spring turkey season thru early deer season (Mar - Nov) I've definitely got my gaiters on. I recommend Turtleskin gaiters.. very lightweight and made for hiking.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cool! Deer Bones AND Quail, so you know you've got Deer, Quail and Predators there!

I don't know HOW MANY TIMES, I could have EASILY sniped Quail with the .17 HMR... but the regs only allow firearm rifle/pistol as method of take for rabbits and squirrels in the small game section, and for those... in LA County it's NOT allowed! (see text below)

And you definitely will want to check out those same places more at Dawn and Dusk.

P.S. I'm bothering to make sure to mention this regulation to you below because to me, it doesn't seem intuitive that anyone would think you can't shoot at a Rabbit or a Quail on the ground with a rimfire rifle. Especially if you *can* with an AirRifle!

§311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game.
The take or attempted take of any resident small game with a firearm shall be in accordance with the use of nonlead projectiles and ammunition pursuant to Section 250.1. Only the following may be used to take resident small game:

• (a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun.
  • (b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.
  • (c) Muzzle-loading shotguns.
  • (d) Falconry.
  • (e) Bow and arrow (see Section 354 for archery equipment regulations).
    • (1) It shall be unlawful to take wild turkey by use of hunting arrows and crossbow bolts unless fitted with a broad head type blade which will not pass through a hole seven-eighths inch in diameter. Mechanical/retractable broadheads shall be measured in the open position.
  • (f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gas and used with any caliber of pellet, except that wild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is at least 0.177 caliber.
  • (g) In addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) and (f) above, firearm rifles and pistols may be used for taking rabbits and squirrels only; except in Los Angeles County where rifles and pistols may not be used.
  • (h) In San Diego and Orange counties only, rabbits may be taken at any time during the open season by means of box traps. Such traps shall not exceed 24 inches in any dimension, shall be tended at least once every 24 hours, and shall show the name and address of the trap owner. All rabbits taken under this section shall be immediately killed and become a part of the daily bag limit.
  • (i) Electronic or mechanically-operated calling or sound-reproducing devices are prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds.
  • (j) Coursing dogs may be used to take rabbits.
  • (k) Archers hunting during any archery season may not use or possess a firearm while in the field engaged in archery hunting during an archery season except as provided in subsection (k)(1).
    • (1) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the lawful possession of a concealed firearm by an active peace officer listed in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3, of Part 2 of the Penal Code or a retired peace officer in lawful possession of an identification certificate issued pursuant to Penal Code Section 25445 authorizing the retired officer to carry a concealed firearm. Nor shall this section prohibit the lawful possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a concealed carry permit issued pursuant to Penal Code sections 26150 or 26155.
  • (l) The use of live decoys is prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds.
  • (m) Pistols and revolvers may be used to take sooty and ruffed grouse in those counties only and for the season described in Section 300(a)(1)(E).
  • (n) Crossbows, except for provisions of Section 354(d) and (g).
  • (o) Dogs may be used to take and retrieve resident small game.
Amendment filed 11/09/16; effective 11/11/16.

Thanks for the tip SurfNHuntSD Will check out turtle skin. Thanks ilovesprig for the rec I’ll skip lone pine and head to keen area. Will post a report

Thanks for Larry for taking the time to post The regs. Interesting. Anyone have experience using air riffles to access more game they would otherwise not be able to hunt?

I will say this... with an AirRifle... when you're trying for Quail... their freakin' feathers are TOUGH! Try to aim for where neck meets their body/shoulders. Trying to just hit kinda thru the center-point of their chest region, when looking at them from the side... will be a repeated exercise in frustration for you! It's amazing how they can take those pellets hits without wounding! My experience was with 16gr H&N Terminators shot out of an Umarex Octane Break-Barrel.

Crows are like that too! Gotta make sure not to attempt to shoot thru where their wings are folded up upon their body.

Doves are no problem, but, if the pellet goes thru the wing a lil bit and scrubs off some speed they might fly a bit after getting hit. Crows too, they can fly an amazing amount of distance before a lesser pellet wound makes them finally drop, because their flight is quite fast and efficient. And on the Crow... I'm talking about pass-thru's at close distance! Where I saw the pellet exit out the other side!

Yeah.. on all the birds... if you can avoid the pellet shots going thru their wing bones and feathers much, I highly recommend it. Especially when you're starting to get on the fringe of your distance where you can still accurately shoot it without a bunch of holdover.

BTW... you CAN still use lead pellets in an airrifle.

Last edited:
g) In addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) and (f) above, firearm rifles and pistols may be used for taking rabbits and squirrels only; except in Los Angeles County where rifles and pistols may not be used.
That was a very good post to point that out. A speed trap for sure.
That is some bull $#@##@

I will say this... with an AirRifle... when you're trying for Quail... their freakin' feathers are TOUGH! Try to aim for where neck meets their body/shoulders. Trying to just hit kinda thru the center-point of their chest region, when looking at them from the side... will be a repeated exercise in frustration for you! It's amazing how they can take those pellets hits without wounding!
Go with hollow point pellets
It's tough with a shotty on the
Quail. Even tougher with pellet gun.

New to hunting and First time chasing quail. After hours and hours of onX scouting I finally went out and found (after a long drive) that many roads shown on maps are blocked/gated, some CA State land forbids firearms and other CA land forbids hunting. Decided to stick to BLM and NF and found another spot in Angeles and spent last Monday walking in the bushes. Found some old deer bones (I think) and came across a guzzler. Watched a Coopers hawk swoop down on what looked like finches. Lots of what looks to me like Quail dens at the base of some larger shrubs and trees but no quail or tracks that I could see. Walked the hills from 11am to 4pm and saw a cotton tail, jack and finally flush a covey of 5. I was pretty excited and missed a bad shot as I chased em up a hill but decided not to shoot em since the covey seemed small and the area looked like it should be holding more birds. Packed out some trash and watched the sun go down.
Think I'm hooked. Looking to head up to the canebrake area or up toward Lonepine after this weeks rain to get my first bird before season ends. I found snake guards were clumsy and not sure if snakes are out when it's this cold? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy new year

Quail are literally everywhere in Southern California. You just so happen to be picking up Upland Hunting on an exceptionally "not-so-great" season, unfortunately! Some of my usual spots that historically hold a ton of quail, were pretty sparse. It has been pretty spotty. Some areas are good to great... my recommendation would be to stick to areas that got decent winter rains (last year). You are coming up on the last few weeks of the season, so many birds are going to be educated and super weary by now.

In the future, do not let closed gates deter you. Unless specifically stated, you can usually walk through these gates and go on foot. Most of those gates are closed to prevent automobile traffic, as seasonally or even indefinitely, these roads are not maintained. Good luck the rest of the season! I recommend giving my website a peek... I got a ton of info in there for newbies: http://uplandjitsu.com/index.php/category/beginners-guide-to-hunting/

Good post upland
My suggestion is look for areas
With water and wild feed.
IV is also a good area to go.
Part of the reason for locked gates
Is not so much hunters but people
In general trashing and breaking glass all over the place.
IV is good for predators, rabbits, quail, dove and pheasant.
Start now scouting for spring turkey. A lot a game can be had with the shotty. And pellet rifle.
Sheriff's department will have on
Line of the no shooting areas.
On x hunt does great job of public and private lands.
On public land rather enjoy the shotty for quail , dove and rabbit
When in season.
Take note coyote, Eurasian dove, and Jack rabbit open all year in NF and BLM.

In the future, do not let closed gates deter you. Unless specifically stated, you can usually walk through these gates and go on foot. Most of those gates are closed to prevent automobile traffic, as seasonally or even indefinitely, these roads are not maintained. Good luck the rest of the season! I recommend giving my website a peek... I got a ton of info in there for newbies: http://uplandjitsu.com/index.php/category/beginners-guide-to-hunting/

And oh yeah... get ready for that feeling that will rage up inside you when you see somebody who is part of the "in" crowd and maybe works with 'em to help clear trail now and again pass by you in their car, while you're descending on foot going miles and miles down into places that have perfectly good roads going all the way down to where YOU want to go to start out from!

Also, there are a few roads in Azusa where they have a gate locked with a code... and somebody explained to me that you *can* get that code... but that it only lasts for two weeks, and that you have to physically goto some office they have in Glendora to fill-out a phsyical paper application for that! SMDH.

Reactions: sdolan617
Go with hollow point pellets
It's tough with a shotty on the
Quail. Even tougher with pellet gun.

You'll note I stated one of the two type of pellets I use for game.

H & N Terminators (16.36gr) and Predator PolyMags (16gr).

They both wap'em but good! The Terminators are a little cheaper.

The Terminators are a wicked hollowpoint, and the Polymags are a Polymer-tipped hollow point.

Oh and don't forget to get yourself one of those Pellet-pens. It's a neat little tool to help you with quickly reloading your Break-Barrel in the field.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
You'll note I stated one of the two type of pellets I use for game.

H & N Terminators (16.36gr) and Predator PolyMags (16gr).

They both wap'em but good! The Terminators are a little cheaper.

The Terminators are a wicked hollowpoint, and the Polymags are a Polymer-tipped hollow point.

Oh and don't forget to get yourself one of those Pellet-pens. It's a neat little tool to help you with quickly reloading your Break-Barrel in the field.
Good point Larry, duly noted lol
I use both of those too

If you saw 5 birds there was probably at least a dozen or more. You just don't see them all. They are very good at staying hidden.

Oh and air rifle pellets are weird. You kind of need to try different brands etc and see which one work well with your type of gun, or look up videos of people that do tests. What works good with one type of rifle may not in a different type of air rifle.

Reactions: issue_1
Check out Kern Co above Mojave or Lake Isabella.....Much better for quail & chukar.
Went up there a short while ago and saw everything but chukar. I even came across hooded merganser ducks that made me feel like a complete idiot for not having waterfowl stamps.

BTW... real quick you *should* start to recognize the certain kind of whistle/call the Quail will do when one of them has already spotted you and he's alerting the rest of the covey that a potential threat is nearby. Recognizing that sound can help you in keying in to their location by sound, especially since most of the time they are going to see you before you see them.

Reactions: issue_1
Thanks SteveHazard will keep that in mind also thinking about picking up waterfowl on your rec but dont know if I can identify them yet. Thanks Larry. I have my quail call and was pretty excited to get a response for the first time. Not sure what the alert call is yet (will look that up) Did some more scouting up in Angls NF at a diff location and found a covey of about 12 but made the mistake of trying to chase em as they split up and left with a skunk. came back after 30 min to see if they regrouped but nothing to be seen. Getting closer though. Looking to head out around Isabella sunday-mon now that the rains are ending to hopefully finish the season with at least 1. Getting the hang of this thing already excited for next oct and looking for chukar next season. wish me luck brothers.

The ducks up there were at a seasonal pond, normally there is not much in the way of standing water out there. I've also seen them up along the river above the lake but unless you have a dog to go in and get them they're just going to float away most likely.

About the locked gates in D11 (and D13). Sometimes you can work that to your advantage because it'll keep people out that don't want to walk in or people that think their not allowed in.

About the locked gates in D11 (and D13). Sometimes you can work that to your advantage because it'll keep people out that don't want to walk in or people that think their not allowed in.

What Steve said!

Just an FYI, I've had great luck/comfort with Darn Tough socks and FoxRiver liner socks! I have a desk-job and have total tender-feet, and with this combo, together with Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots, I can go DOUBLE what I used to be able to hike before cracks and blistering set in and get bad. Also... get in the habit of bringing extra pair of liner socks and hunting socks in with you. When your socks finally get too sweaty to evaporate and dry off fast enough... THAT... is when all the damage is taking place to your toes/feet. At that point... if you stop, take a break and switch out to a new pair of socks... it pays off dividends in you NOT having jacked up feet when you get back to the truck! It's a lil extra laundry, but so what.

Also... pay attention in the places you explore as to how often you encounter other people. Hikers... other hunters... even DirtBikers in some places. Sometimes you might find you have to change up which day you go there. Like... logically, most people would prefer to go on a Saturday to these kinds of places so they have recuperation time before going back to work on Monday. So sometimes, picking to go on Sunday, though inconvenient for YOU in terms of still being sore on Monday... *can* prove to be the better choice for you as the hunter wanting to get out there and not have someone else come along and blow out the area you're in.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu