D15 poacher

LoganClark2000

Nov 27, 2023
This morning I was headed up to kill some time and glass a spot I wanted to check out. On the way to the trailhead I passed though two campsites. Between these two campsites I come around a bend and see a man in a white work truck standing on the road with his drivers side door open. I quickly noticed that he had a rifle and was aiming at what I assumed was a back. By the time I look over he had already shot it from the road with me 30 feet away and it was rolling down the hill. As soon as he noticed me he took off and left the deer. At first I wanted to follow him but I realized that wouldn’t be the best idea since he was armed and I was not. I did not see him at all after that. I ended up calling Trabuco ranger station but they are closed today. Seeing this as a new hunter was pretty disappointing and a bit discouraging to how people are treating our local zone, especially as I’m busting my tail to try and learn and do it the right way.

• Wow
Reactions: ilovesprig
If you have his plates and remember where the deer is you can call calltip and they’ll most likely be able to get him

Yep, pictures of the plates would help...In this case, it probably would've done any good though...He would lie his way out of it, but at least he'd be on the radar of wardens...POS!... :poop:

ps...I would still call CalTip and give a description of the vehicle, the perp, location of deer....:mad:

The comment of not going unarmed is sadly true. If you confront any sort of a bad guy out in the sticks---poacher, pot farmer, obvious illegals---my humble advice is to not confront or walk over and take a photo of the license plate if they guy is watching. You'll get your ass shot full of holes. Talk to wardens about the violent behavior of bad guys out in the sticks. Knew a warden years ago here in San Diego [Mr Turner, I believe] who had some scary stories to tell. I also know a guy who is an enforcement ranger in Glacier Park. Retired Marine Colonel, lots of combat experience. He lives in Yaak, MT, during the off season. He tells me that it is too dangerous to hike around NW Montana unarmed because of the huge increase in hard drug usage and the influx of the major drug cartels. I was also told not to park my car at a trailhead in NW MT by a Fish and Wildlife guy. Told me the druggies watch all the trailheads and break into cars. If you catch and confront them, they will kill you. Seriously, that's exactly what the guy said. Was on the Flathead River drainage just ouside of Kalispell. Never thought that would happen in MT, but it has.

And Steve, Google "drug cartels in the last best place." Major stories on the explosion of hard drug use in MT and the drug cartels [Mexican and South American] moving into Montana. Scary stuff. Never thought Montanans would let this happen.

Reactions: LoganClark2000
The comment of not going unarmed is sadly true. If you confront any sort of a bad guy out in the sticks---poacher, pot farmer, obvious illegals---my humble advice is to not confront or walk over and take a photo of the license plate if they guy is watching. You'll get your ass shot full of holes. Talk to wardens about the violent behavior of bad guys out in the sticks. Knew a warden years ago here in San Diego [Mr Turner, I believe] who had some scary stories to tell. I also know a guy who is an enforcement ranger in Glacier Park. Retired Marine Colonel, lots of combat experience. He lives in Yaak, MT, during the off season. He tells me that it is too dangerous to hike around NW Montana unarmed because of the huge increase in hard drug usage and the influx of the major drug cartels. I was also told not to park my car at a trailhead in NW MT by a Fish and Wildlife guy. Told me the druggies watch all the trailheads and break into cars. If you catch and confront them, they will kill you. Seriously, that's exactly what the guy said. Was on the Flathead River drainage just ouside of Kalispell. Never thought that would happen in MT, but it has.

And Steve, Google "drug cartels in the last best place." Major stories on the explosion of hard drug use in MT and the drug cartels [Mexican and South American] moving into Montana. Scary stuff. Never thought Montanans would let this happen.
Here is just one example of the articles I mentioned above.

Reactions: LoganClark2000
Larrys stomping grounds... anything is possible..what happened to the deer?id definitely cal tip and try and get some cash...lord knows I need it...DAMN DOG!!

Yep, pictures of the plates would help...In this case, it probably would've done any good though...He would lie his way out of it, but at least he'd be on the radar of wardens...POS!... :poop:

ps...I would still call CalTip and give a description of the vehicle, the perp, location of deer....:mad:

Didn’t get plates unfortunately I called call tip and the ranger station and let them know though.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Larrys stomping grounds... anything is possible..what happened to the deer?id definitely cal tip and try and get some cash...lord knows I need it...DAMN DOG!!
He just left the deer dying in the grass. I’m assuming he went to go pick it up after he lost me to get rid of the evidence since it was next to the road for everyone to see.

That is crazy. Definitely carrying everytime I go out now. Starting to realize I can run into some real wackos and dangerous people. It’s a shame that this has to be taken into consideration when going out but it is what it is I guess. Me complaining about it won’t change anything just got to go prepared now hahaha

Stay strapped or get clapped. Or something like that. I pretty much always carry, and always carry when I go out in the sticks. Two many baddies, both two and four legged, out there.

Logan, thanks for calling Cal Tip.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu