D16 Deer opener

Finally made it out this morning for the first time to do some scouting in the 16. Figured I’d use the Quail slayers to my advantage, up high with the spotter. Had a view of quit a bit of canyons, ridges, etc. It rained a little at first light, glassed for a few hrs, covered a lot over and over, nothing, then the slayers showed up about 9:30 and they got the deer moving around as they busted through drainages and canyons. Seen a really nice 3x3 running through a canyon with a forky. He looked yoked! and had dark horns! I think I’ll make him my target buck for the season.
Now just need some “supply chain” issues at work so I can get a day or two off this season!! FML… still full steam ahead at work with no end in sight! The more fellas move out of Cali the worse it gets. Please stay lol

I don't know about on earth, but if you're a bird hunter, big game guy, or trout fisherman...It is pretty tough to beat............. :clap:

.View attachment 56183
Bird hunter, big game guy, trout fisherman---what else is there? By the way, there is superb walleye, pike, smallmouth bass, and panfishing in quite a few spots in eastern MT. What I really like about Montana---besides the beauty, the hunting, and the fishing---is that people there like the idea of a smaller government that doesn't stick its nose into everyone's business. Montana is full of libertarians, my kind of people.

Reactions: sportyg
Bird hunter, big game guy, trout fisherman---what else is there? By the way, there is superb walleye, pike, smallmouth bass, and panfishing in quite a few spots in eastern MT. What I really like about Montana---besides the beauty, the hunting, and the fishing---is that people there like the idea of a smaller government that doesn't stick its nose into everyone's business. Montana is full of libertarians, my kind of people.

And, then there's the politics.................. :joy:

.014.JPG

No quarter..shall be givin...I will be on the 13 acres for 6 days with some eager spork shooters...lord give me strength..post him when you dump him fellas...FINISH.

Been getting some good rut reports looks like we will get a little wet this weekend. All packed up and ready to Fork!

View attachment 56235
I'm hoping you can educate me on what the signs of the rut are here in socal. I spotted several deer last week in D14 which mostly consisted of groups of 3-8 doe. 2 groups had a small spike buck and one group had a 2x3 buck.

I also saw 3 other bucks that each appeared to be alone.

The 2x3 buck that was with does did not show much interest in the does from what I could tell, other than being in the group with them. As a matter of fact, we watched that group of does bedded and moving around for about 40 minutes before the buck even appeared. So my main question is, As I start seeing more deer (some of them being bucks) what are some of the signs that the rut is starting? How does this give me an advantage and how should I use it to my advantage?

Thank you!

I'm hoping you can educate me on what the signs of the rut are here in socal. I spotted several deer last week in D14 which mostly consisted of groups of 3-8 doe. 2 groups had a small spike buck and one group had a 2x3 buck.

The 2x3 buck that was with does did not show much interest in the does from what I could tell, other than being in the group with them. As a matter of fact, we watched that group of does bedded and moving around for about 40 minutes before the buck even appeared. So my main question is, As I start seeing more deer (some of them being bucks) what are some of the signs that the rut is starting? How does this give me an advantage and how should I use it to my advantage?

Thank you!
buck with his tongue hanging out, chasing does, sticking his nose in her crotch. Bucks with does. Bucks moving during the day.

Thank you!
First off, you are doing really good locating all those deer and bucks! Keep at it!

The spike may as well be one of the does, gay best friend or younger brother. He will be with the chicks year-round and is basically a eunuch.

Those three loner bucks are waiting to breed/fight but I am guessing none of the does around them are in heat. So rather than deal with the women's BS, they hang out by themselves but still check in on the does for signs of one coming into estrus. When one is in estrus, there will be a buck (or more than 1) attached to her not leaving her alone.

That 2x3 *may* be on a doe coming into heat but he may also just be new at this and be in the "friend zone." A larger buck may roll in when a doe is actually in heat and will whoop his ass taking all the ladies. If you see a buck constantly sniffing her booty and not leaving her alone you can assume the rut is on or at least she is in heat. The bucks will also be running around and moving constantly. I would youtube "rutting mule deer" and watch a couple of vids. It may not be that extreme but you'll see similarities.

I would keep watching for bucks to shoot (obviously) but also watching different groups of does. You never know when one will show up with the ladies and get killed. Thats how the one in my avatar died.

Unless you live in Missoula

Reactions: ilovesprig
Set the bar height fellas..if you believe..
.it will happen.. remember..hold the line..push forward..never waiver..stay the course..and FINISH 16ers!!! You got this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221019-101330.png
    Screenshot_20221019-101330.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
First off, you are doing really good locating all those deer and bucks! Keep at it!

The spike may as well be one of the does, gay best friend or younger brother. He will be with the chicks year-round and is basically a eunuch.

Those three loner bucks are waiting to breed/fight but I am guessing none of the does around them are in heat. So rather than deal with the women's BS, they hang out by themselves but still check in on the does for signs of one coming into estrus. When one is in estrus, there will be a buck (or more than 1) attached to her not leaving her alone.

That 2x3 *may* be on a doe coming into heat but he may also just be new at this and be in the "friend zone." A larger buck may roll in when a doe is actually in heat and will whoop his ass taking all the ladies. If you see a buck constantly sniffing her booty and not leaving her alone you can assume the rut is on or at least she is in heat. The bucks will also be running around and moving constantly. I would youtube "rutting mule deer" and watch a couple of vids. It may not be that extreme but you'll see similarities.

I would keep watching for bucks to shoot (obviously) but also watching different groups of does. You never know when one will show up with the ladies and get killed. Thats how the one in my avatar died.
Thank you for the response. I'm going to start a D14 thread so I don’t derail this one with some pics. What you stated makes sense and is aligned with what I witnessed.

Last edited:
Did deer counts the last couple of days (MCC/16)...Dominant bucks are not with does yet...Watched a spike chasing a doe that appeared ready...No other bucks in this group of 8 does...Watched a couple of forkies move up a steep hill with a single doe...She was showing no interest yet.

Remember, SoCal rut can last over 3 months...I do agree that the 1st part of November is prime time...Hence, most fawns are dropped in June.

.IMG_1359.JPG

Last edited:
Work has been so crazy I have only had one scouting day and it did not go well at all. No deer spotted at all, other hunters everywhere. This may be the first year I don't get out for opening day.

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu