D16 Deer opener

I'll be headed out next week to try and find the guy who left this track. Nice road to cruse as well.
I know that rut (seriously) I’ll be there Saturday evening through Wednesday. I wouldn’t mind meeting up with the buck that left that track myself.

I know that rut (seriously) I’ll be there Saturday evening through Wednesday. I wouldn’t mind meeting up with the buck that left that track myself.
you camping by the spring you know how he got so big as to leave a track like that ? He move onto the private property that is posted. Saw the GW down there he may have removed this pool someone made.

.20221019_092418.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hunt4lyf
Ah I have the trigger stick as well the Tricer adaptor fits it perfectly my next Tricer purchase will be the Tricer hiking poles. I may hit up the Oak Grove area since I have a G13 tag, I'd have to take that buck with my bow so I' LL be bringing that along just in case. I'll just need to lock up my rifle when using the bow. I'll also clear it with the GW expect he will be in the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRICER
Hunted MCC on Sat and then today, Mon. Last year I saw 40+ deer on opening weekend [no legal bucks, 3+ points] and then saw about 20 on the day after opening weekend last year. Saw Zero this Sat---I mean nada---and saw one doe today. What bugs me is that I saw almost no tracks or scat anywhere. I found water at all the usual places---just washtub [old-fashioned term, you young guys probably don't know what one is] sized seeps, but no tracks anywhere. No lion tracks either. Never heard a rifle shot. How are you guys doing on non-MCC property in D16? I've got a secret spot on D16 public land and at this point I think my odds of taking a forky for the freezer are better there than taking a 3+ on MCC.

For you guys who know or associate with professional wildlife personnel, what are they saying about the deer population this year in D16?

Hunted MCC on Sat and then today, Mon. Last year I saw 40+ deer on opening weekend [no legal bucks, 3+ points] and then saw about 20 on the day after opening weekend last year. Saw Zero this Sat---I mean nada---and saw one doe today. What bugs me is that I saw almost no tracks or scat anywhere. I found water at all the usual places---just washtub [old-fashioned term, you young guys probably don't know what one is] sized seeps, but no tracks anywhere. No lion tracks either. Never heard a rifle shot. How are you guys doing on non-MCC property in D16? I've got a secret spot on D16 public land and at this point I think my odds of taking a forky for the freezer are better there than taking a 3+ on MCC.

For you guys who know or associate with professional wildlife personnel, what are they saying about the deer population this year in D16?
Doc, i spent the day on prime public land Saturday, didnt see anything. Moved to a different area and found one doe at 800 yds without any company… it is crazy….

I had to postpone my hunt hope to get out next week to the mighty 16. Hunt4lfy did you find that buck? From what I saw he was headed to the posted property.

I had to postpone my hunt hope to get out next week to the mighty 16. Hunt4lfy did you find that buck? From what I saw he was headed to the posted property.
Never did, I passed a spork on Monday but it was the only buck I saw. That wasn’t us camped by the spring, never saw the GW either. Headed back to Colorado in the morning.

Ah better luck next time. Surprised the GW wasn't around talked to him for about 30 min last week. I was hunting yotes and quail not far from the spring. Only saw a doe with a late fawn came off the hill for a drink.

Disappointed....for all the D16ERS out there...not one spork/legal buck has been reported?? I have faith in you guys...stay the course...tow the line..never waiver..push forward..and FINISH!!

Disappointed....for all the D16ERS out there...not one spork/legal buck has been reported?? I have faith in you guys...stay the course...tow the line..never waiver..push forward..and FINISH!!
Dude,,,
Opening morning I glassed up 11 hunters around me. That’s bad. But not as bad as the fact I didn’t hear 1 shot fired.
Gonna try a new spot tomorrow.

I'm serious when I say this ..I have faith in you guys ..you all get it done in a highly competitive Zone!! Post him when you kill him bro!

Reactions: TRICER and JakeSCH
I know of one nice fork that was shot, the guy that shot it is a member here but I can't remember his name, hopefully he comes by and posts a picture of it, I took a few for him.

Reactions: JakeSCH

Don't feel too bad for us, Matty....Here's a few from the "16" this season............................ ;)

ps...Saw a guy with buck on top of his car this afternoon in Julian...Don't know why I didn't take a pic...:joy:

.MCC '22 Greg.JPGVYFR4754.JPEGShanes buck '22.JPEGVKXI1029.JPEG

Fantastic..on top of his car makes my season .. love it!!! Keep it up fellas!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu