D16 - Sat 4.13 - Eastside Palomar

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Going out to the Eastsideish of Palomar this Saturday to scout and turkey, anyone else that wants to go out PM me.

I spoke to the biologist who covers the area and there are few Turkeys around, I also have access point, parking info from him. Looking at about 2 miles total out and back from parking area for this spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trap, did you get a fellow hunter for tomorrow?
Post up some pics from the hunt afterward. Should be a very good weekend for bringing in gobblers.

Reactions: TrapLine
Trap, did you get a fellow hunter for tomorrow?
Post up some pics from the hunt afterward. Should be a very good weekend for bringing in gobblers.

Yea, me and @KThor roll out at 4am, met up after work today for a beer. Should be a solid hunt and looking forward to it. Will post up after, hopefully birds and not the sunrise photos everyone loves.

Yea, me and @KThor roll out at 4am, met up after work today for a beer. Should be a solid hunt and looking forward to it. Will post up after, hopefully birds and not the sunrise photos everyone loves.

Good luck! I am working so wishing I was out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got out there shortly after sunrise, when we got there I saw a truck with a NWTF sticker on their ranger so a good sign. Hiked through the area and set up on a few spots throughout the day with decoys and calls but could not get shock gobbels or gobbel backs to our calls. We did find find some turkey tracks so there are birds in the area and was able to locate multiple sources of water in an other wise dry area. Even though we didn't find the birds, we did find the deer, lots of them. Dropped a few cams in the area to let them keep working. D16 bumped its self up a notch on my draw choice list.

After getting back to the truck around noon we went and scoped out some areas along the jeep trails. Thors Bronco took us deep into the area and found some really promising spots for future hunts. Some of those areas though are so grown up even if you shot something outside the meadows you would never be able to get to it, I was amazed we were able to get a vehicle that deep into the mountains. Makes me want a 4x4 now, even though the huntstang could of got me with in hiking distance, nothing like drive up and hunt.

Fun day though with a great hunting partner, I think we will get a gobbler, Just a matter of time.

Just never know when you might catch a wondering gobbler....Things were tough this week on the best of private properties....We're running out of hens (and they're mostly non breeding jennys)….No hens normally mean less gobbling as the spring winds down....Every micro area is different....So, you never know.

ps....Hunted a new private spot this morning and assumed it would be a slam dunk for Jacob (SIL)….No dice....Big boys had moved down the canyon and another private ranch....2 jakes were all that played along and they got a pass.

.044.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu