Deer: Proof of sex

Geappetto Hunts

Oct 12, 2019
OCEANSIDE
Hello,

New guy here again. This may be a dumb question but was wondering if anyone could tell me what will suffice as proof of sex on a doe?

Was planning to leave an udder attached to a piece of meat but am now second guessing myself. Would that be ok?

Also was curious as to where most people take their tag to get it counter signed? My plan was to take it to the CDF or Cal Fire station.

Any help here is appreciated.
Thank you!

Reactions: socalhntr
The head attached to the hide or the animal is pretty good proof of sex...I had my buck done at a fire station...Cal Fire in Julian likes doing them...Sheriff at a sub station did Pinteal's doe...Most any law enforcement can do them (police, sheriff, hwy patrol, wardens, etc.)

As a Fish & Wildlife commissioner here in San Diego, I used to do them...But, then Fish & Wildlife LE in their infinite wisdom decided that since I wasn't a STATE commissioner (there's a total of 5 in the entire state), that I couldn't validate anymore...I guess a postmaster or a notary knows more about fish & wildlife than I do...lol

It actually says in the regs that a postmaster can countersign too! I was surprised by that one.

Reactions: ilovesprig
The head attached to the hide or the animal is pretty good proof of sex...I had my buck done at a fire station...Cal Fire in Julian likes doing them...Sheriff at a sub station did Pinteal's doe...Most any law enforcement can do them (police, sheriff, hwy patrol, wardens, etc.)

As a Fish & Wildlife commissioner here in San Diego, I used to do them...But, then Fish & Wildlife LE in their infinite wisdom decided that since I wasn't a STATE commissioner (there's a total of 5 in the entire state), that I couldn't validate anymore...I guess a postmaster or a notary knows more about fish & wildlife than I do...lol
Unbelievable! You would think a F&W commissioner would be better suited to countersign over a postmaster. It's crazy that a person with your credentials wouldn't be able to that anymore.

Thanks for the information! I never thought of keeping the hide attached to the head. That's a good idea. I wonder how much extra weight that would add for pack out?

The DFG main office in Seal Beach is like 1.5 miles from my front door. I went over to them the next day after to have my first buck signed off. They looked around stunned by the question... and eventually... eventually... called someone to the front to walk out to my vehicle with me so I could show it to them. I thought that was hilarious how here you are their main headquarters.. I ask help for this very basic function of your department... and then to watch them all run around like chickens with their heads cutoff trying to figure out what to do.. it was just comical!

The DFG main office in Seal Beach is like 1.5 miles from my front door. I went over to them the next day after to have my first buck signed off. They looked around stunned by the question... and eventually... eventually... called someone to the front to walk out to my vehicle with me so I could show it to them. I thought that was hilarious how here you are their main headquarters.. I ask help for this very basic function of your department... and then to watch them all run around like chickens with their heads cutoff trying to figure out what to do.. it was just comical!
That's awesome! Lol! I bet they had no idea that they were authorized to do that. Bet they googled it real quick!

I have been turned 2 fire depts., a highway patrolman, and a sheriff...This is AFTER I showed them in the regs they could (I could not validate my own tag)...Pretty frustrating to say the least.

When we went to the sub station with Pinteal's doe, the sheriff on duty told us he would NOT validate...I then showed him my card (& ID) and told him I would walk him thru it...Good guy and he thanked me for showing him what he needed to do.

Reactions: Geappetto Hunts
I seen this a few years back when I guy shot a nice buck out in the Kitchen Creek area. Border patrol nor would the Cleveland Natl. Forest would counter signed even after I showed them the regs that they could. Liberal bastards.

I have been turned 2 fire depts., a highway patrolman, and a sheriff...This is AFTER I showed them in the regs they could (I could not validate my own tag)...Pretty frustrating to say the least.

When we went to the sub station with Pinteal's doe, the sheriff on duty told us he would NOT validate...I then showed him my card (& ID) and told him I would walk him thru it...Good guy and he thanked me for showing him what he needed to do.
I can only imagine how frustrating that was. You should not be the one to educate them on a public service they are required to offer. I guess I'm not surprised though. At least the deputy was cool enough to learn and help out.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I seen this a few years back when I guy shot a nice buck out in the Kitchen Creek area. Border patrol nor would the Cleveland Natl. Forest would counter signed even after I showed them the regs that they could. Liberal bastards.
This is crazy! I really hope this never happens to me or any other fellow hunter. I wonder if this is just a socal "thing" (problem) or if it's state wide?

It's probably a good thing they didn't know what they were doing.

"§708.6. Tag, Countersigning and Transporting Requirements. (b) Any person legally killing a deer in this state shall have the deer license tag countersigned by a person authorized by the commission as described in subsection (c) before transporting such deer, except for the purpose of taking the deer to the nearest person authorized to countersign the license tag, on the route being followed from the point where the deer was taken (refer to Fish and Game Code, Section 4341). "

Hello,

New guy here again. This may be a dumb question but was wondering if anyone could tell me what will suffice as proof of sex on a doe?

Was planning to leave an udder attached to a piece of meat but am now second guessing myself. Would that be ok?

Also was curious as to where most people take their tag to get it counter signed? My plan was to take it to the CDF or Cal Fire station.

Any help here is appreciated.
Thank you!

Just for clarification:

"Deer Head Retention Requirements and Production Upon Demand (Excerpts from CCR T14-708.7): Any person taking any deer in this state shall retain in their possession during the open season thereon, and for 15 days thereafter, that portion of the head which in adult males normally bears the antlers, and shall produce the designated portion of the head upon the demand of any officer authorized to enforce the provisions of this regulation (refer to FGC 4302). "

Just for clarification:

"Deer Head Retention Requirements and Production Upon Demand (Excerpts from CCR T14-708.7): Any person taking any deer in this state shall retain in their possession during the open season thereon, and for 15 days thereafter, that portion of the head which in adult males normally bears the antlers, and shall produce the designated portion of the head upon the demand of any officer authorized to enforce the provisions of this regulation (refer to FGC 4302). "
Do you have an IG account as Socalhuntr ?

Just for clarification:

Yup. Read this but does the head of a deer alone justify proof of sex? The reason I ask is I've read that a lot of hunter leave a testicle attached to meat on bucks as proof. Does the same thought process apply w/ Doe's and leaving a sex organ attached?

Yup. Read this but does the head of a deer alone justify proof of sex? The reason I ask is I've read that a lot of hunter leave a testicle attached to meat on bucks as proof. Does the same thought process apply w/ Doe's and leaving a sex organ attached?

I bring the deer home with head & hide on it (dick & piss sack attached only because I don't want to bust it in the field)...I have a hanging tree on the prop (actually got a new hoist)...When I take it to the butcher only thing left on it is the head.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu