Did you know ?

OPAH

Sep 20, 2021
Did you know a CDFW warden can Cite you, hold on to the citation, and make you check every month to see if it had been submitted for a year. Then just before the year ends, kick it into the system.
If you do not respond you are found guilty and could lose your hunting privileges for two years plus a huge fine or Jail.
Any other Little known did you knows, out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: dhntr48
Did you Know:
if you cut across the edge of another zone to get to the zone your going to hunt, and get stopped in the other zone you can be cited for Poaching, just because you do have all the equipment to hunt.

There you go GunDogLover, failure to hunt in California
Big time violation !

Did you Know:
if you cut across the edge of another zone to get to the zone your going to hunt, and get stopped in the other zone you can be cited for Poaching, just because you do have all the equipment to hunt.
This is also why it pays to be respectful with fish and game wardens. If you can politely explain where you’re headed, why you are where you are at that time, etc. it will be just fine. There are a shit ton of laws on the books in many states that make no sense. Don’t be an asshole and have good reasoning when talking with law enforcement. Usually works out well imo.

This is also why it pays to be respectful with fish and game wardens. If you can politely explain where you’re headed, why you are where you are at that time, etc. it will be just fine. There are a shit ton of laws on the books in many states that make no sense. Don’t be an asshole and have good reasoning when talking with law enforcement. Usually works out well imo.

THIS^^^^

Reactions: Kellendv
Did you Know:
I suspect you'd have to be either giving the warden a hard time or doing something where people do try to get away with poaching in the area. Like the hunting the East side of D7 and entering from X9a or x9b. There have been guys that take a deer in the X zones and just claim the went up and over and got it in D7. And there are of course guys that legitimately go up into D7 that way but it be very very smart to GPS track yourself etc if you do stuff like that as the burden of proof is on you in game laws.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I suspect you'd have to be either giving the warden a hard time or doing something where people do try to get away with poaching in the area. Like the hunting the East side of D7 and entering from X9a or x9b. There have been guys that take a deer in the X zones and just claim the went up and over and got it in D7. And there are of course guys that legitimately go up into D7 that way but it be very very smart to GPS track yourself etc if you do stuff like that as the burden of proof is on you in game laws.
The newer tracking software on apps like OnX are great for just this stuff. If I am anywhere near a private/public boundary I use tracking until I am far away from the boundary.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge a fellow hunter. Unfortunately, some wardens could care less for the spirit of the law or are a poor judge of character.

My dad got a poaching ticket after being instructed by someone at a fish and wildlife office we were OK to hunt an area. We had proof of the phone call and were exceedingly nice to the guy. Talked trucks (he also had a Cummins also as his personal truck), talked Cardinals baseball, and so on. He didn't care when it came time to write the ticket.

When you're dealing with someone who wields so much power over you it's best to use extreme discretion and probably just avoid them in general. I am not saying they are bad guys or that most of them are that way (I've had mostly good experiences) but you should always be leery of those who hold power.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so quick to judge a fellow hunter. Unfortunately, some wardens could care less for the spirit of the law or are a poor judge of character.

My dad got a poaching ticket after being instructed by someone at a fish and wildlife office we were OK to hunt an area. We had proof of the phone call and were exceedingly nice to the guy. Talked trucks (he also had a Cummins also as his personal truck), talked Cardinals baseball, and so on. He didn't care when it came time to write the ticket.

When you're dealing with someone who wields so much power over you it's best to use extreme discretion and probably just avoid them in general. I am not saying they are bad guys or that most of them are that way (I've had mostly good experiences) but you should always be leery of those who hold power.

Totally agree....There's "letter of the law" and "spirit of the law"....One of my dearest friends is a warden...He's also the best warden I've ever been around...He understands this concept.

ps...It's a very tough job...Lots of real idiots out there and it doesn't take long to sour a person dealing with them.

Im not judging any specific hunter.
It's fish and game law. The animals have no voice so it is literally guilty until proven otherwise if a citation is issued. If your coming back to your truck parked in a draw zone with a nice buck tagged with an OTC tag I would absolutely make sure to bread crumb where you went and made sure to take geotagged pictures of where it was taken etc. If you had not you have to know what that looks like.

That being said I've waited a bit to come back to my truck when I saw a warden around. Sometimes they are nice and friendly and other times they've just been straight business and ransacked though the truck. I understand it's their job but I also prefer not to have my stuff thrown everywhere as well.

Totally agree....There's "letter of the law" and "spirit of the law"....One of my dearest friends is a warden...He's also the best warden I've ever been around...He understands this concept.

ps...It's a very tough job...Lots of real idiots out there and it doesn't take long to sour a person dealing with them.
I could only imagine. The amount of lies and abuse they receive on a daily basis is just sad.

I rub elbows with a lot of first responders and the amount of mental trauma they take is unreal.

Im not judging any specific hunter.
It's fish and game law. The animals have no voice so it is literally guilty until proven otherwise if a citation is issued. If your coming back to your truck parked in a draw zone with a nice buck tagged with an OTC tag I would absolutely make sure to bread crumb where you went and made sure to take geotagged pictures of where it was taken etc. If you had not you have to know what that looks like.

That being said I've waited a bit to come back to my truck when I saw a warden around. Sometimes they are nice and friendly and other times they've just been straight business and ransacked though the truck. I understand it's their job but I also prefer not to have my stuff thrown everywhere as well.
Ah, I misread it that way.

Those are great tips! It's also worth noting that the maps are not always accurate as well so leaving some margin on the borders is usually smart.

Reactions: SteveHazard
Ah, I misread it that way.

Those are great tips! It's also worth noting that the maps are not always accurate as well so leaving some margin on the borders is usually smart.
This is where I fall too. I leave like 50 yards on boundaries if I can, hahaha. I’m not even going to chance it

Reactions: 180ls1
If it's not posted and I'm crossing the boundary only to get back to public is it considered trespassing??

Asking for a friend..
Yes, it's trespassing (technical term, not bad/illegal per-say). However, it's not a ticketable offense unless its posted or you have been trespassed.

Be smart about it though. I'd really only do this on some abandoned looking property in the middle of nowhere where its not going to negatively impact anyone. If it looks like they don't want you there or have made some attempt to keep people out (fence) then stay away.

Last edited:
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu