Did you know ?

The due diligence a landowner needs to of done for it to be citable is in code 2016 I believe. The minimum they need to of done is posted every third mile and any reasonable entrance point. This is typically crap land for the most part which may be ok for small game but I typically don't see much good deer habit unposted. The general rule of thumb is to use good judgement and not do stuff if you believe will piss people off. There are certain places I make sure to stay well beyond the 150 yards of structures. Yes legally I can get closer, but what are the chances of somebody in a housing track calling the police if I'm discharging a shotgun at 160 yards out? Some small game isn't worth the hassle in that situation to me.

Did you Know:
if you cut across the edge of another zone to get to the zone your going to hunt, and get stopped in the other zone you can be cited for Poaching, just because you do have all the equipment to hunt.
That's interesting. I am pretty sure one is allowed to transit thru a refuge for example where there is no hunting as long as your firearm is disabled for hunting. No ammo, maybe the bolt action was removed and the rifle put away. But what do I know.

That's interesting. I am pretty sure one is allowed to transit thru a refuge for example where there is no hunting as long as your firearm is disabled for hunting. No ammo, maybe the bolt action was removed and the rifle put away. But what do I know.

I can tell you that a friend tried to transport a firearm thru Palomar state park to public land...It was a shotgun that was unloaded, in a case, and ammo was in his vest....The citation stated, he had a firearm in a state park...As I recall, it was not a CDFG warden...Park ranger.

I can tell you that a friend tried to transport a firearm thru Palomar state park to public land...It was a shotgun that was unloaded, in a case, and ammo was in his vest....The citation stated, he had a firearm in a state park...As I recall, it was not a CDFG warden...Park ranger.
I sent 3x emails and called 3x times trying to clarify exactly this without an answer back from them. I was an inch away from saying "screw it, I'm doing it anyways if no one gets back to me after all this effort." Glad I didn't.

That my friends is why I hate this state. Always looking for a reason to cite people. I have never had a pleasant encounter with a Cal. warden, I have never been cited because I was not in violation of any laws, but in every event they went out of their way looking for a reason to write me a citation. On the other hand every encounter I have had with wardens in other state was by comparison, pleasant.

That my friends is why I hate this state. Always looking for a reason to cite people. I have never had a pleasant encounter with a Cal. warden, I have never been cited because I was not in violation of any laws, but in every event they went out of their way looking for a reason to write me a citation. On the other hand every encounter I have had with wardens in other state was by comparison, pleasant.
Listen dude we get it. Stop beating a dead horse...hate Ca, hate Ca hate Ca hate CA....Seriously, we don't know need to be reminded that CA is not the most hunter-friendly state but some of us are here and we try to make the best of it...for crying out loud.

While California was once the best state in the US, it is now wrought with challenges. People that currently live here do by choice. Life is all about choices, of which we are in control of. With that said, folks who do not like it can leave. This would help chip away at one of California's many problems (over crowded).

Just an opinion - flame away!

My only two reasons for not leaving are the grandkids. I will suffer through a lot to remain close to them. If everyone who hates this state were to leave their numbers would just be replaced by the illegals coming in every day.

It is what it is, every where you go there are issues. and yes sometimes it is by choice some times not.
Yes California is Blue as Blue can get, but believe me you all are not far behind, soon my friend soon.

This is also why it pays to be respectful with fish and game wardens. If you can politely explain where you’re headed, why you are where you are at that time, etc. it will be just fine. There are a shit ton of laws on the books in many states that make no sense. Don’t be an asshole and have good reasoning when talking with law enforcement. Usually works out well imo.
some times they don't know the correct laws

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu