Do I Need A 4x4

I have a 46 cj2a, it's bone stock and it's a off road tank. Slow but it can go anywhere. :)

I have been using a 2wd Titan for the past 5 seasons. Got it stuck once 2 years ago after a heavy rain on Pendleton. I picked up a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the Inline 6 and I have taken it more places in the last week than I had ever taken the Titan. It definitely gives you more confidence to get further back.

It's like a rifle...it's not often that you need a rifle, but when you need a rifle, you NEED a rifle.

I live in the desert and I've always had 4x4s, was into Jeepin/rockcrawling, etc, and in the last couple years have ended up with a couple 2wds. Drive me nuts not being able to go places I used to not even think about, or almost getting stuck places I didn't used to think about, just soft spots in dirt roads. I haven't gotten stuck enough yet to need pulled out, but I've had to air down and dig.

Which reminds me...if you get stuck, don't spin the tires, air down and work it back and forth until you get some smooth, compacted surface to get a run on. Keep a pressure gauge and valve stem core remover in the rig( and some spare cores). It depends on vehicle weight and tire size, etc., but about 20 psi is a minimum of "aired down". Small tires on the front of a heavy diesel pickup should probably stop about there. Otherwise, 15 psi is probably good, maybe as low as 10. I'd rather have to drive home or to an air source real slow than call for a tow. I usually keep a Co2 bottle in the rig when offroading. Don't go very low at all if you have wide wheels and narrowish tires...better yet, don't run wide wheels. I run my wheels a little narrower than the tread of my tires.

An SUV (not counting Jeep Wranglers/CJs) will get further in 2wd than a pickup because they have more weight in the back. Diesels are the worst 'cuz they're heavy...but if you put 39" tires on one, they go pretty good. :-D

I'm on the JustRuns.com volunteer recovery list...if you hunt the Imperial Valley and want someone to call in case you get lost/stuck/broke down, PM me.

winching-1.jpg

If it was me I would get the 4x4. I regret not getting it when I bought my truck. You can cruise anywhere you want to go and not beat your vehicle up as much.

Ghost said:
Hahahaha good tips Handgun. common sense goes a long way.

Ya, got a bit carried away huh? Oh well, maybe it'll help someone.

I've pulled out a loooot of people, desert, beaches, dunes, many of whom didn't know what they were doing and didn't have the "common sense" to figure out what to do. All it takes is a little rut or soft spot in a 2wd, and not much more than that with a not very capable 4x4 and not a lot of skill.

People keep telling me to, and I keep saying I'm gonna do an offroad tutorial/video but never get around to it. Maybe this winter.

AWD can be a good compromise. My Highlander has 19" tire and good ground clearance, which is a help. Don't forget that the right tires can make a big difference, whether 2x4 or 4x4.

Sent via Tapatalk

I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I picked up a '94 4Runner as a hunting rig so that I can get more places. Also just bought a Tahoe and 4x4 was my deciding factor between the two I was looking at.

hahahaha yes indeed it does, I had my fair share of close calls. I was some what crazy in my younger days. I would go down a hill or up a hill. and no fear of getting stuck or rolling, which is even worse.

stick with on the conservative side and most people will be all right. I been lucky had a few time when I went up a hill and then it decided to rain. talk about slippery slope on the side of a mountain.
with 500 foot drops. makes you believe in god really quick.

was in our desert property month ago, going up the trail. my truck (3" lift) was not high enough. to much chance of bottoming out on some boulders. to I chickened out. and did not finish my trip.
if it was my old jeep or even my toy truck it would of made it with no problem. it had a 6" lift.

Get the 4x4 .
Helps you get farther into the nasty places, and it's better to have it when you need it rather then not have it when you need it.
By being able to go slow over rough terrain will also minimize damage on your truck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 43
As a huge 4x4 lover I had to chime in. I've had a shop before the economy went I built jeeps and trucks roll cages bumpers and tube buggys. Always get the 4x4 if you can. You'll never say I wish I did not have it.

I love jeeps and have been Jeepin' since I was a little guy.....Been pretty much raised in one as far as hunting goes too.....These pix are from the late 50's, early 60's.....Enjoy.... ;D

Attachments

• scan035.jpg
    scan035.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 45
  • scan018.jpg
    scan018.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 42
  • scan005.jpg
    scan005.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 121
  • scan055.jpg
    scan055.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 122
  • scan033.jpg
    scan033.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • scan030.jpg
    scan030.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 51
  • scan028.jpg
    scan028.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 46
  • scan012.jpg
    scan012.jpg
    812.9 KB · Views: 52
  • scan021.jpg
    scan021.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 51
Man ilovesprig you got pictures !!!, I love sitting back just checking out old pictures. It's rad how you have pictures of way back.

My hunting years started not to long ago about 4 yrs, that being said I wish I knew what the hunting was like in San Diego county in the 50 's and 60's ... Are thoes pictures from sandiego county??

stikbrandon said:
Man ilovesprig you got pictures !!!, I love sitting back just checking out old pictures. It's rad how you have pictures of way back.

My hunting years started not to long ago about 4 yrs, that being said I wish I knew what the hunting was like in San Diego county in the 50 's and 60's ... Are thoes pictures from sandiego county??

No, they're not.......Mostly the Sierra's, Red Rock Cyn, Tonopah, Nevada and the Scodie Mt area (near Ridgecrest).......I moved to SD Co. in 1974. And a lot has changed here in north county.......People find it hard to believe some of the places we hunted up here....... As far as the east county? It's pretty much the same.....In fact, it's probably better now for the unattached hunter. A lot of the old cattle ranches have been bought and now offer hunting.

Funny story.......I was raised in Long Beach.......And went to high school in the 60's. To be cool, you needed a Chevy. Preferably a '55, '56, or '57......Well my mom used to take me to school in a Jeep. I was so embarrassed that I would have her drop me off 3 blocks from school.......I'm sure there's a bunch of kids that would love to have this jeep nowadays........lol

Attachments

• scan039.jpg
    scan039.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 48
For me, if I'm the only truck, I go as far as 2wd will take me. I use 4wd to get me home.

I told my wife before I got married... My trucks will always have 4x4.

Some more awesome history Steve. Thanks for taking the time to share. I never tire looking at that old stuff.

Thanks John,

Not trying to hijack the tread........Just trying to emphasize the fun & importance of a 4x4 to the outdoorsman.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu