Do i need upgrades on my bow?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I am currently hunting with a bowtech carbon knight that i bought used. I had it inspected and adjusted to my specs. The bow is great.
The rest however is a POS..i think.
Im hunting from the ground i think a whisker biscuit should work fine?
The sight seems to be all right.
The release is ok but i wish it would collapse. It hits anything and everything at the worst times it seems, and it makes my hand useless unless im gonna shoot.

Any recomendations that will not break the bank? Sorry about the huge pics..thats just how they come up from my phone.
Thanks.
807f219bd2fd379fdbaaa55e22c3f0fd.jpg
57caee4514782a65a4c8e5bf590f310f.jpg
67eee0ae3533ddf2f1b09f52eb01f1a9.jpg
1826d327d319c7c22acb3d1ce05e8fd3.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Depending on where you live...I'd take it to a professional... (Willow Creek Archery or Bow & Arrow Shop in SD.)

Reactions: TRICER
Yeah, that's a POS... If cost is an issue try ebay for a used Ripcord or QAD. I shoot the AAE Pro Drop and have it on 3 bows. Take Steves advice and go to a Pro Shop. Ed F

Definitely go with a drop away.
The octane (you’re using) and the whisker biscuit are cool for holding your arrow in place, that’s it.
They’re drawback is that they amplify any movement (Torque) you may have on the release of the arrow. Pick up your bow hold it out and twist it back and forth. You will see what I’m saying.

Drop away is the way to go, just changed mine to a drop away from a whisker biscuit about a month or so ago and would not go back.

The bow shop tried to sell me one when I first took my bow in to get setup and tuned and I balked thinking they were just trying to up-sell me but they were right. I shoot more accurate now and if you get into custom fletching you cant shoot them through a whisker biscuit. They are good while you are getting confortable with your bow though.

id recommend a different rest and a HING style release. I switched to a hing during the off season and my groups got tighter and consistent.

the day you stop feeling that way when you are about to arrow something is when you are done bow hunting....

Granted, I have not killed a ton of stuff with my bow...But my thoughts are always the same (bow hunting or not)...And that's mean thoughts...I'm pissed when I pull the trigger and I have bad intentions...Puts me in a trance of seriousness and concentration.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I need a new drop away rest. Plus a new sight, plus a new quiver . Lol plus a new bow, plus news arrows, plus new arrow heads a hell. I need every thing..

Thank for the suggestions. Ill see what the shops got to offer.

I knew that after buying what I needed for bow hunting I would need upgrades.for example besides the bow stuff, my bino harness does not accommodate my range finder, my cheap range finder does not account for elevation, my cheap cammo clothing is for fair weather only, my pocket knife for skinning anything are lame...and goes on and on.
But that doesn't deter me from going.....whisker biscuit or drop away, wrist release or other types...I'm going..if I can hit a decent target from 40yrs I'm giving it a go..ill deal with the rest as it comes. Can't seat on the couch and let the tag expire.

I knew that after buying what I needed for bow hunting I would need upgrades.for example besides the bow stuff, my bino harness does not accommodate my range finder, my cheap range finder does not account for elevation, my cheap cammo clothing is for fair weather only, my pocket knife for skinning anything are lame...and goes on and on.
But that doesn't deter me from going.....whisker biscuit or drop away, wrist release or other types...I'm going..if I can hit a decent target from 40yrs I'm giving it a go..ill deal with the rest as it comes. Can't seat on the couch and let the tag expire.
That's the spirit.. I use a wisker bisket because it keeps my arrows in place.. but my partner had a drop away and it was more accurate..

Reactions: Wildgame

I used a whisker biscuit for my first 7 years of bowhunting....Use what ya got until you can upgrade. There are plenty of sites out there (archerytalk) that have good classifieds and you can pick up some used items in great shape. What bino harness are you running? There are always things you can do on your own to make the rangefinder easier to use. Your attitude is what will matter most, and you seem to have a hunger to just get out there and do it. Thats the most powerful tool you have, the will to learn more and just do it. Find creative ways to get better gear, you dont always have to buy from a shop. Prioritize the gear list and get after it from there.

Reactions: Wildgame
I used a whisker biscuit for my first 7 years of bowhunting....Use what ya got until you can upgrade. There are plenty of sites out there (archerytalk) that have good classifieds and you can pick up some used items in great shape. What bino harness are you running?

Based on my research I believe the whisker biscuit to be sufficient for hunting from the ground and for shorter shots..would it be the best? probably not, I think the drop aways can make you more accurate no doubt...but the best arrow rest in the hands of a novice shooter might not shine.

Same reason I bought a 20ga Mossberg semi-auto (worth under $500) for dove, bunnies, and quail and not an SBE II or a Beretta...brck by brick I say. As I have gotten older I am more about the indian not the arrow sot of speak.

An upgrade for my rest within my budget is worth considering. I take the actual shooting at big game seriously. I will search for a good drop-away in used condition or a decent biscuit.

This is the harness I bought..

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/vortex-glasspak-binocular-harness By Vortex for 29.99 at Bassproshot. The range finder I bought on Amazon came with a little soft case, I just have to figure where and how to attach it. Right now I keep it in my pants leg-side pocket but when going thru brush it fills with crap.

Based on my research I believe the whisker biscuit to be sufficient for hunting from the ground and for shorter shots..would it be the best? probably not, I think the drop aways can make you more accurate no doubt...but the best arrow rest in the hands of a novice shooter might not shine.

Same reason I bought a 20ga Mossberg semi-auto (worth under $500) for dove, bunnies, and quail and not an SBE II or a Beretta...brck by brick I say. As I have gotten older I am more about the indian not the arrow sot of speak.

An upgrade for my rest within my budget is worth considering. I take the actual shooting at big game seriously. I will search for a good drop-away in used condition or a decent biscuit.

This is the harness I bought..

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/vortex-glasspak-binocular-harness By Vortex for 29.99 at Bassproshot. The range finder I bought on Amazon came with a little soft case, I just have to figure where and how to attach it. Right now I keep it in my pants leg-side pocket but when going thru brush it fills with crap.

Does the pouch have a webbing loop? If so you can run it on the lower strap of your bino harness. Kinda like a knife sheath.

Attachments

• bino.jpg
    bino.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 9
Does the pouch have a webbing loop? If so you can run it on the lower strap of your bino harness. Kinda like a knife sheath.
No the range finder case doesnt have a webbing loop but I could make some holes with a hot nail and run a bungee cord and get it on the bino harness. Thanks for the idea.

The SCOTTS release employs a trigger that uses an actual Seer, just like a rifle trigger does. Definitely give it consideration as your next release aid. And since it's not dual hooks, you can hook it on by feel without needing to look down at your string.

Somehow, I lost my release on my last outing (ouch!). It was a really nice one to with the BOA lacing system. Oh well. At least that introduced me to this new system. So at least something good came of it.

Definitely ditch that hostage style rest. I'm sure drop-aways are great and everything. But whiskers biscuits seem to make the most sense for bow hunting from the ground, in terms of being able to leave your arrow knocked in the bow sitting atop your backpack on its side. Since the whiskers hold it from all sides 360 it won't be making noises when you grab it from laying horizontal on your pack and raising it to vertical. Just gotta make sure on your arrows vanes you've got the top fletching/vane pointing straight up parallel to your string. Make sure to adjust the angle of your knocks within the shafts ahead of time to ensure this is so.

Also with those crappy Hostage rests... I've had them drop the arrow off of the bottom brush when drawing them back in the heat of the moment! Major no bueno moment.

Good luck.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu