Dog crates for travel

Baldkrash

Aug 4, 2013
whats the best type of dog crate for the truck?

Also I see them in the back of trucks, but it seems like it gets hot In the back of my truck. Any thoughts?

My labs have always been kenneled in crates.....It's for their safety.....I have at least 4 and the only brand that I know for sure is Vari-Kennel & Pet-Porter ......I buy them at swap meets or garage sales for anywhere from 10-25 bucks.....Much more expensive, if bought at a store.....Aluminum kennels are really up there, but are very nice. And are bullet proof.

.canada day 2 012.JPG

I normally crate the dog during season, when it's not so hot, but in the off season Coming and going to train and where ever we go she rides on my bench seat of my pick up with the ac vents pointed right at her

I wonder how good it is for a hunting dog to sit in A/C, then hunt (Fred?).....I do know it's pretty tough on them, when they are standing while driving, looking out windows, and God for bid, if you get in a accident.

I may get all beat up but. In a crate is safest. Free in a cab is very dangerous for dog driver passengers and others on the road. I know so cal navda will not let anyone participate if they see your dog loose in the car or truck cab.... They will crab you out and ask you to leave. In a crate is a must. When I hunted from my suv I had the dog in the crate with rear Ac. He was very happy but did not want to get out and hunt. Now that the crate is in the back of my truck he wants to get out and hunt. Just have water and keep him cold. I water down the dog every 1/2 hr or so when traveling when its its hot. A shell over your truck bed helps a lot. It keeps the inside of your dog box or crate much cooler.

Wow rufftoughkennels.com is pricey. Right now he sleeps in a wire crate at night. The first two times I took him for a ride, he was on the seat with me. Then I started reading about the safety issue. Now I'm just moving the sleeping crate to the truck every time I take him out, so I'm looking for one just for the truck. I noticed a lot of the pics on the forum have different looking crates than the wire one.

Thanks for the info.

I use the Vari-Kennel in the back of the truck and on the airlines. Has worked for me and my precious cargo for years. My dogs sleep in their crates at night too.

BK,

I'm going to be up in Julian tomorrow.....I know these people have a couple kennels (plastic crates).....I'll see if I can't one for the right price (under 20).....How big is your dog?

I wonder how good it is for a hunting dog to sit in A/C, then hunt (Fred?).....I do know it's pretty tough on them, when they are standing while driving, looking out windows, and God for bid, if you get in a accident.

I throw the dog belt on her, I garentee the plastic kennel will go flying around in the back of your truck if you got in an accident. At least when the harness is on the dog isn't going anywhere when she's buckled in.

Never had a problem when the dog was in ac then got out of the truck to train, matter a fact, iv never heard of a a dog with prey drive not want to hunt or train regardless of outside or inside temps. I'm not saying just because your dog will hunt relentlessly in the heat is a good for it I'm just stating that just cause the dog will/ can does not mean it's good for it.

Some would argue that letting your dog sit in its kennel after he has ran in the summer heat or was retrieving birds in the IV in 100+ degree heat is probably more detrimental to the dog then to cool them off on a 75 degree truck cab before kenneling them.

It's all has to do with the way your dog lives, if your dog lives outside in the IV I'm sure it's not as hard on them, but if your dog lives in a climate controlled house at night or has access to come inside during the day, clearly it will have a harder time dealing with the heat of a hot kennel.

Not to say a dog can't do it but remember your dog doesn't swet, just think how hot you would be sitting in a kennel when it 100 outside even with air flow.

I work out side for a living, I swet my balls off everyday in this heat and I'm miserable. And I can swet. I guess the point I'm getting at is just because physically your dog can do it doesn't mean it's nessisarly good for the dog.

Some would argue that ac is bad for people and animals. Just because I can physically work in the sun all day long and hope in my truck and blast the ac doesn't kill me it also does not mean it's good for me, at some point comfort has to come in to play. I'd rather cool my dog off then let her pant her little ass all the way home. I can honestly tell u heat can and does directly effect animals in general in ways it does not effect humans.

My 2 cents

Ben, get rid of the wire not sturdy enough and get a medium size plastic kennel. Mine have a black plastic blocking the door too keep the dust and direct sunlight out. Get one SS pale and clip it to the mesh door. It will swing while driving and won't spill. Cool water and he's all good & shade is a must.

When it's hot and they need to cool down I let them take an AC vent right in the mouth for a few minutes until they have stopped panting. They don't need it but when I'm hot I know the dogs like it as much as I do.

A little water in the bottom of the kennel or a wet towel works good.

Now if your dog has heat exhaustion then cool down slowly it's really better to get Gatorade down them a lot of the times their electrolytes are out of wack. Have them in the shade pour water on them but carful too much can cause a seizure then he's done. Cool the belly first and stay away from their head. I've seen a few GSP's have this problem they just like to run & run & run. Never seen a Jagd overheat in my 10 years of owner ship and I run mine all day in the IV but it's not 107......but it's 90 at times.

Remember they cool thru their ears, paws, panting & the belly so feel the ears if it's hot let them cool down. Let them stand in the wet ditches and let them rest. Look up heat signatures for dogs it will tell you where the heat is escaping.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu