Dove and Sunflowers

SteveHazard

Oct 24, 2018
One of my dove spots looks to have some wild sunflowers growing this year. Was thinking about cutting some of them down. Should I, or should I leave them? And if I do cut them how much before the season? Now? 2 weeks? 1 week? And would cutting some stuff down in general help attract them?

The birds will find that sunflower regardless if you cut it down or leave it standing. IMO

unless its part of the normal farming procedures its baiting..... so to answer no you can not cut them down just to pull birds in that would be baiting.

sorry

If the sunflowers are dead and dry a week or two before the season, the seeds will fall to the ground by the time the season comes along. I heard that info in a video by Tennessee Fish and Game that was all about dove plots.

OK. Just leave them then. And no they won't be cut by any harvesting as it's just the smaller type growing wild.

unless its part of the normal farming procedures its baiting..... so to answer no you can not cut them down just to pull birds in that would be baiting.

sorry
I read that somewhere. At one point I thought about buying a piece of rural land and do light farming to attract game and I learned that wouldn't work.

Growing foods that attract game is not against the law...Food plots like clover, alfalfa, rye are some of the grasses that are grown. Apples, pears, grapes all attract game. Nothing says you can’t hunt near the orchards or vineyards...What you can’t do is take apples, pears, etc. and place them in a spot. Same with corn, wheat, or sunflowers...There’s no reason to knockdown sunflowers. Dove eat right on the plant.

some of my best dove shots have been in grain filelds and safflower fields...trust me..im a professional...them little bastards cant get enough of that seed. Come on sept1st!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu