Dove hunt..always learning

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
One of the things i like about any hunting trip, is that i always learn something.
I learned that I am a better shot than last year..lol , i lead a little more and im more patient. I made some rather impressive shots for my skill level i was told.

This year i also learned that steel has a little ball curve but trying different shells out for the 20 ga while unting i was able to find what i like. For me specially in further away shots, higher speed size 6 is a good fit with my lite modified Trulock choke works nicely.

I also learn that i need a camel back.I walk around a lot, more than most and i need constant access to water when is very hot, the car is sometimes too far.

I learned not to hunt with in close proximity to my hunting partner as it becomes a little competitive depending on personality. In a same bird situation where we both shot, i claimed the bird, he also claimed the bird..i figured not worth the hassle..move away.

Finally..hav a plan B. The first spot we choose we found bulldozed ready for constructio and not suitable for hunting anymore...it took time to get to the other spot and we lost prime location as there were a bunch of people there.
0d844646d8f4f1cd55971c665ea6eec1.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Looks like a great opening weekend. Thanks for sharing your experience.

WG,

Great going...Yes, every trip should and can be a learning experience...No matter how seasoned you are...And man, my hat's off to you cleaning those little guys so slick.

ps...My old license plate used to say "My Duck" in reference to guys, if they pull the trigger and something falls...It's My Duck (bird)... :joy:

• Haha
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I used to be like that, now I'm oh thats your bird. To lazy to go out in the sun.:p

One of the things i like about any hunting trip, is that i always learn something.
I learned that I am a better shot than last year..lol , i lead a little more and im more patient. I made some rather impressive shots for my skill level i was told.

This year i also learned that steel has a little ball curve but trying different shells out for the 20 ga while unting i was able to find what i like. For me specially in further away shots, higher speed size 6 is a good fit with my lite modified Trulock choke works nicely.

I also learn that i need a camel back.I walk around a lot, more than most and i need constant access to water when is very hot, the car is sometimes too far.

I learned not to hunt with in close proximity to my hunting partner as it becomes a little competitive depending on personality. In a same bird situation where we both shot, i claimed the bird, he also claimed the bird..i figured not worth the hassle..move away.

Finally..hav a plan B. The first spot we choose we found bulldozed ready for constructio and not suitable for hunting anymore...it took time to get to the other spot and we lost prime location as there were a bunch of people there.
0d844646d8f4f1cd55971c665ea6eec1.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
HOW DO YOU COOK THEM ???

HOW DO YOU COOK THEM ???
I rub them with a smoked pepper paste(smoked paprika would work) a little garlic powder and a little salt. Then I put aluminum foil on the grill with a little vegetable oil because olive oil burns too fast. Roll them around every 10 min until the whole thing looks cooked. The key is not to overcook them because they get chewy.
If your rub is to your liking you won't have any problems grabbing them with your hands and taking bites off the breasts to begin eating them but not a lot of meat in other areas...is more a fun eating than a full meal. Add a touch of hot sauce and is even more fun.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu