Dove Hunting in the hills

Drewski2324

Sep 26, 2013
Ventura County by way of Idaho
Do any of you hunt doves in the hills or mountains? Growing up we posted ourselves up in front of an apple orchard and we would have limits in an hour or so. This was in Idaho. I now live in Ventura and I have found it next to impossible to get access to farmland that is either not posted or for the farmers that I have been able to talk to they almost always claim their insurance does not cover such things.
If anyone can shed some light on the tactics they use in the mountains or hills would be fantastic.

I hunt the mountains down here in SD a lot......All private property though......Lots of turkey melon/dove weed (low green weed in pix)) is the key to success......Produces a black seed they love.

Attachments

• 9-2-12 003.JPG
    9-2-12 003.JPG
    714.5 KB · Views: 43
  • dove hunt 9-15-09 002.jpg
    dove hunt 9-15-09 002.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 40
  • dove hunt 9-9-09 005.jpg
    dove hunt 9-9-09 005.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 36
Scout at the end of the day, listen in the morning. Hit em after you know where they like to be. Places that hold them well are fun to hit every once and a while but its best to wait a few days or longer to hit them again or else they will move on. Not an expert but it has worked for me

I've had some luck at a couple public spots in SD where I've seen birds roost or pass through, coming to or from someone's farm (they had cracked corn in their crop). I set up my Mojo in a clearing and hung a few still decoys on some branches and on the ground, although I really don't think they look much at the still ones. I'd set up behind a bush nearby and whack a few as they buzz the Mojo. I never did well enough there to skip the IV, but if it's your only option, it can still be fun.

Oh and this sounds really dumb, but please make sure they're doves. Last deer season (Nov or so) there was a guy at my deer spot blasting away at bandtails. Not only did it ruin our deer hunt that morning but I'm sure he killed more than 2 pigeons, well over a month before bandtail season. Just putting it out there. I know they were bandtails because I'd been watching this flock at my spot since the summer and they hung around the same area. No doves there. This guy was blasting em out of the oaks and I saw their feathers on the ground later on.

SurfNHuntSD said:
Oh and this sounds really dumb, but please make sure they're doves. Last deer season (Nov or so) there was a guy at my deer spot blasting away at bandtails. Not only did it ruin our deer hunt that morning but I'm sure he killed more than 2 pigeons, well over a month before bandtail season. Just putting it out there. I know they were bandtails because I'd been watching this flock at my spot since the summer and they hung around the same area. No doves there. This guy was blasting em out of the oaks and I saw their feathers on the ground later on.

Jason,

Funny that you mention this.....I had a guy come up to me last year telling me how great the euro shooting was.....Knowing where he was at, I ask him If I could see his birds......Sure enough, they were band-tails..... :-[

I have it's not wide-open like the valley but I have shot limitS. At a few spots You have to find a concentration and you can't miss lot less to shoot at

Thank you guys for helping me out. I will certainly need to educate myself on the differences between the two birds. To be honest I cannot remember seeing too many birds in the areas I want to check out so I cant imagine the hunting being hot and heavy but a guy can dream!

Drewski2324 said:
Do any of you hunt doves in the hills or mountains? Growing up we posted ourselves up in front of an apple orchard and we would have limits in an hour or so. This was in Idaho. I now live in Ventura and I have found it next to impossible to get access to farmland that is either not posted or for the farmers that I have been able to talk to they almost always claim their insurance does not cover such things.
If anyone can shed some light on the tactics they use in the mountains or hills would be fantastic.

good question drewski2324.

we all learn here.

Ghost

I hunt doves both morning and euros in the mountains above Ventura all the time. They are there and in numbers just get out a look all public land as well

SurfNHuntSD said:

I was there that day. I pulled up around 3pm and another guy was leaving because the band tail shooter was firing off three shots every 15 minutes. No chance that deer were going to show themselves with his 'dove party' going on.
Would it be improper to call the ranger station when something like that is going on?

[/quote]

I was there that day. I pulled up around 3pm and another guy was leaving because the band tail shooter was firing off three shots every 15 minutes. No chance that deer were going to show themselves with his 'dove party' going on.
Would it be improper to call the ranger station when something like that is going on?
[/quote]

Improper? Um no it would be our responsibility if they were poaching banded tails. cal tip with all info you can get. or local leo or both

DanSanDiego said:
SurfNHuntSD said:

Might have been a different day or spot because this happened in the morning. A couple days later some wardens checked me at my truck and I mentioned it along with a description of the guy, but it didn't seem to faze em. That's the breaks of public land I guess, and a popular spot at that. I was just bummed because I had seen these birds for months and was waiting for the opener to chase em.

My guy was on private property......He was shooting crows too......Also out of season (although, I could care less about them).

Maybe not cal cal tip first go talk to the guy let him know that it's not in season wrong bird ect.....then if he has an attitude then make the call.

I try not to be a dick and give the guy a break he may not have known like Steve said and you'll get him out of your deer spot quicker:)

If a farmer gives you the insurance thing you can obtain your own insurance to cover him.

ilovesprig said:
My guy was on private property......He was shooting crows too......Also out of season (although, I could care less about them).

Probably Ravens. (as my neighbor puts it "the difference between Ravens and Crows is that Crows are the ones that get shot."

DanSanDiego said:
ilovesprig said:

Probably Ravens. (as my neighbor puts it "the difference between Ravens and Crows is that Crows are the ones that get shot."

Even better......I hate ravens even more than crows.......Killing machines!........ :mad:

far as hunting the local areas I have not seen that many dove. seen some band tailed pigeons.
but honestly the two are really different. hard to understand some one mixing the two up.

I like to give the local areas a try. while hunting rabbit.

Ghost

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu