Doves in IV

Ryan_germain1911

Jul 21, 2014
Northern San Diego
Hey y'all. I'm headed Over to the IV tomorrow (Thursday the 2nd). I'm looking to do some dove hunting. I was there a few weeks ago and a lot if the Eurasians have moved back up from the south. I'm looking for a buddy to tag along. Let me know if anyone what's to come! I'll be coming back after a morning hunt on Friday. I have all the decoys we need. Just message me.

Ryan's one hell of a hunter and all around good guy. Any one especially new guys wanting to learn should hit him up. Wish I could go but picking up my new to me truck today.

How was your hunt?

I was there a few weeks ago. I guess maybe a couple of weeks before you. But I did terribly. There were hundreds of mourning doves everywhere, but very few Eurasians.

Was thinking about giving it another try, but want to see if conditions changed any first.

So how did you do?

My usual day off to hunt is Wednesdays, and I do day-trips, so I can't take you up on the offer. Thanks though.

So I was thinking about going either tomorrow or next Wednesday. Right now, I'm leaning towards next week. Hoping maybe warmer the temp the better.

it's crazy one week it can be 90% Euro, and the next week be 90% mourning ...

It should be in the 90s this weekend. ill be there with my wife the dovinator if any one wants to come out especially if your new to the IV PM me lets meet up

GSPman said:
It should be in the 90s this weekend. ill be there with my wife the dovinator if any one wants to come out especially if your new to the IV PM me lets meet up

I will be out Sunday with my wife. ..will send you a PM

A couple of my friends went out said it was pretty slow......Like I said before, killing 3 & 4 hundred at a time would take it's toll......Not just in the numbers game, but the animal itself changes patterns......They do multiply quickly. So maybe we'll get a increase when things slow down hunter wise......Sure hope so......They're fun to shoot.

Thanks for the update.

I guess I'll still go and take a look tomorrow.

Seeing this is only the second year that Eurasians are open year-round, there just isn't a lot of data to draw on. I wasn't sure if the small number of birds are due to seasonal changes or if they were due to hunting pressure.

But I guess that was the whole point of having their season open year-round, to reduce their numbers. But yea, they sure are fun.

They being GREENIES, TREE HUGGERS, And other idiots......They want them gone because they're non native......Just like pheasant, chukar, and turkeys.....Hunters love 'em, do gooders want them completely wiped out!............ :mad:

i spent the weekend in the IV. Once there we drove over 150 miles to many different spots i know and was told about. feed lots, state land.....ect. it was the slowest ive seen in the IV ever. the euros were just not around. I know it changes day to day and week to week. we did not come back empty handed but close.

Thanks for the report GSPman.

That was what I was afraid of. You described my exact experience from last month.

I gave it a month hoping conditions would change, but I guess it didn't. Oh well, I'm still heading out tomorrow. Will post an update if there is anything noteworthy.

Do the euros have a migratory pattern as far as moving back/forth from Mex (e.g. are warmer months typically more productive?) or do they just move around the various fields/lots based on hunting pressure?

SurfNHuntSD said:
Do the euros have a migratory pattern as far as moving back/forth from Mex (e.g. are warmer months typically more productive?) or do they just move around the various fields/lots based on hunting pressure?

they move from house to house ;) they are all hiding in town!! and go to feedlots to grub and then back into town. I wish the city would let us use pellet guns in town.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu