Drew a D13 tag...not sure that's an accomplishment?

SOLUTESHUNN

Jan 22, 2019
Hey all!

I'm new to this site -shoot I'm new to hunting, really! This being my first year, with a very long NEED to get into hunting, I'm kind of reaching for straws here for any advice at all! I absolutely know that asking for hotspots and honey-holes is out of the question, so please don't think that that's what this post is about. That is one thing that I fully grasp -once you find something that has taken years of research and footwork to find, you're not likely to share.

Like I said -I pulled a D13 tag. I know that I can also hunt D11 and D15. I've read that D13 isn't very successful? I'm wondering if anyone has insight for 2018 in D11 -13 -15? I'm going to go scouting in a couple of weekends, and I'm just curious if anyone thinks that D13 is a waste of time and that I should head elsewhere? I plan on cultivating a few hotspots of tried and true places over the years in these zones because it is closest to where we live in Los Angeles. I have three daughters and I REALLY want to bring them with me and get them involved in the hunting culture, I don't want to raise girls that want to grow up and be "Instagram Influencers", I want them to enjoy nature and get friggin' dirty! I want this to be an outdoors thing that we do every year -all year if possible. My wife has watched as the hunting supply receipts (backpack, rifle, boots, bino's,) have begun piling up, and it would really be good if I could bring some meat home for the fam -as I'm sure that you all know!!!

Anyway, Any advice would be great! Thanks so much - getting excited for October!

Last edited:
That 13 is a really tuff zone...specially public...if you get tired of beating the brush...give a shout..rumor is there is a guy that runs hunts on 9,000 acres of private land in that zone...he,s booked solid every year..but does have a cancellation every now and then.. welcone to the site.

In D13... I'll just say North-Eastern part of Lebec. And leave it at that. And oh yeah... get ready to (initially) climb-up some (what feels like) damn near vertical canyon wall faces.

Also... make sure you're 100% legit. The Green Jeans up there ... they WILL ask to see your license AND also probably inspect your ammo AND peer into your car AND maybe even ask you to open your cooler. If your animal is tagged... they WILL ask you to remove the tag so they can verify it's the RIGHT tag.

Apparently they had a bit of a problem with people who didn't harvest their Archery tags... coming in with both them and their General tags.. and would try to be slick and wrap that Archery tag onto the Antler such that you only saw the signature part, so they could effectively go back in and get a second animal with their *real* General tag. So as a result, the dudes I ran into... while polite... we're kind of a P.I.T.A. As a result, I would advise if you are returning to your vehicle... and you're still up high and you spot them... ugh... just wait and let them pass first to avoid the bleepin' hassle.

The dude hassled me because when he asked for my tags, I handed him the envelope that had ALL the tags I bought in it. He explained that issue I mentioned, and I told him me being a n00b, it just made sense to me to make sure to have all my tags in that envelope so I couldn't mess up and not bring the right one and get in trouble from forgetting to take the right one with me. Bewildered me that he couldn't see the logic in my response but whatever. You can only lead a horse to water. You can't make him drink.

Ok, now starts the fun part, scouting. Don't expect to walk up, see a shooter buck and nail him. It takes getting out there and learning the territory. Where do they rest? Where do they drink? And remember summer places may not be winter places. It is all about gasoline and boot leather.

Reactions: SOLUTESHUNN
Between 5 of us we usually fill all our tags in D13, so it can be done. Go scout and hunt every chance you get. Persistence is key. We saw 5 legal bucks opening day last year. All public ground. Find a good spot to glass a big area and spend lots and lots of time looking. Bucks have been rutting in my area on the opening weekend, the last 2 seasons. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see any deer the first couple of trips. Look for sign and water. There’s lots of small springs all over the zone. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SOLUTESHUNN
welcome,
Hunting with my daughters is one of the greatest adventures there are.
I can't wait to get them into it. Thay are still 6, 3, and 2, so I have a few years to learn and then continue to learn about this sport for the rest of mine, and their lives!

That 13 is a really tuff zone...specially public...if you get tired of beating the brush...give a shout..rumor is there is a guy that runs hunts on 9,000 acres of private land in that zone...he,s booked solid every year..but does have a cancellation every now and then.. welcone to the site.
Thanks! I'd love to hear more about this!

In D13... I'll just say North-Eastern part of Lebec. And leave it at that. And oh yeah... get ready to (initially) climb-up some (what feels like) damn near vertical canyon wall faces.

Also... make sure you're 100% legit. The Green Jeans up there ... they WILL ask to see your license AND also probably inspect your ammo AND peer into your car AND maybe even ask you to open your cooler. If your animal is tagged... they WILL ask you to remove the tag so they can verify it's the RIGHT tag.

Apparently they had a bit of a problem with people who didn't harvest their Archery tags... coming in with both them and their General tags.. and would try to be slick and wrap that Archery tag onto the Antler such that you only saw the signature part, so they could effectively go back in and get a second animal with their *real* General tag. So as a result, the dudes I ran into... while polite... we're kind of a P.I.T.A. As a result, I would advise if you are returning to your vehicle... and you're still up high and you spot them... ugh... just wait and let them pass first to avoid the bleepin' hassle.

The dude hassled me because when he asked for my tags, I handed him the envelope that had ALL the tags I bought in it. He explained that issue I mentioned, and I told him me being a n00b, it just made sense to me to make sure to have all my tags in that envelope so I couldn't mess up and not bring the right one and get in trouble from forgetting to take the right one with me. Bewildered me that he couldn't see the logic in my response but whatever. You can only lead a horse to water. You can't make him drink.
You're funny, man. That's some really good info. I totally appreciate that! Thanks for responding. People on this site are nice!! Makes you want to be a hunter, ya'know!

Ok, now starts the fun part, scouting. Don't expect to walk up, see a shooter buck and nail him. It takes getting out there and learning the territory. Where do they rest? Where do they drink? And remember summer places may not be winter places. It is all about gasoline and boot leather.
Thank, man! Can't wait to start scouting!

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Between 5 of us we usually fill all our tags in D13, so it can be done. Go scout and hunt every chance you get. Persistence is key. We saw 5 legal bucks opening day last year. All public ground. Find a good spot to glass a big area and spend lots and lots of time looking. Bucks have been rutting in my area on the opening weekend, the last 2 seasons. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see any deer the first couple of trips. Look for sign and water. There’s lots of small springs all over the zone. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, brother! Positive info like this will keep me scouting up there for a few weekends before the season opens. Really appreciate it!

Thank, man! Can't wait to start scouting!
This is my secret..... "You Never ever stop scouting". You want to go for a walk, go to the mountains and hike ;) Scouting, if you like fishing... go while scouting...
You will always see something that at some point during the year you will be able to hunt with your kids... starting with rabbits.
Take notes, mentally and on a notepad, about what you see, when and where.

And this post
Read, read and read all you can stand. Online then put it to practice.
Out on the field. The object is to find lots of deer sign, lots of tracks, lots of scat, set game cameras. No secret.
Just hard work.. get high on the hills
And mostly glass. TDon't get in the habit of hiking to much. Get to an area with good deer habitat. And sit and watch. Don't expect to them right away. I have gone to the same spot solid for 3 or 4 weekends before seeing them. They roam a lot.
Get a good set of binos, and trippod.
And a lot of patience.
Good luck

This is my secret..... "You Never ever stop scouting". You want to go for a walk, go to the mountains and hike ;) Scouting, if you like fishing... go while scouting...
You will always see something that at some point during the year you will be able to hunt with your kids... starting with rabbits.
Take notes, mentally and on a notepad, about what you see, when and where.
Sage advice! Thank you very much, Dawnandusk!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu