Dumb Question......

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
Do I have to keep the entire buck's head for 90 days, or can I cut the antlers off, still attached to a skullcap and with tag attached, and just keep that? I know, dumb question, but my Wife is not happy about having no room in the freezer due to an entire deer head in there...... :D

Skull cap...where did you get 90 days from? .15 days after season..then lloyd gets um as a chew toy!

I would buy a new freezer, his & hers ;). Good Luck

HATCHET1 said:
Skull cap...where did you get 90 days from?...15 days after season. Then Lloyd gets um as a chew toy!

Listen to this guy....I know he's been involved in at least a few kills.... ;)

Thanks Hatchet, and everyone else. Not sure where I got the 90 days, but thought someone said it the other day. Anyway, do I can cut off the skull cap, and just keep that for the 30 days? No head required?

708.7. Deer Head Retention Requirements and Production Upon Demand.

Any person taking any deer in this state shall retain in their possession during the open season thereon and for 15 days thereafter, that portion of the head which in adult males normally bears the antlers, and shall produce the designated portion of the head upon the demand of any officer authorized to enforce the provisions of this regulation (refer to Fish and Game Code, Section 4302).

This may be where you got your 90 days from....

"Retain the report card for 90 days after the end of the season as DFW may request that you return the card for verification."

Someone may want to throw a reminder thread out there on reporting unsuccessful deer tags so nobody has to pay the fine next year. Just did mine online through wildlife.ca.gov. Took all of 30 seconds.

MJB said:
708.7. Deer Head Retention Requirements and Production Upon Demand.

Any person taking any deer in this state shall retain in their possession during the open season thereon and for 15 days thereafter, that portion of the head which in adult males normally bears the antlers, and shall produce the designated portion of the head upon the demand of any officer authorized to enforce the provisions of this regulation (refer to Fish and Game Code, Section 4302).

So the skull cap with the antlers attached would be the 'portion of the head"..... Cool, thanks.

Scalp the lady..freeze..repeat as necessary..

So if you scalp the head of a doe then how do you keep the tag attached to the ear to get the tag signed? Seems like a headache to harvest a doe compared to a buck as the regs seem clearly written for bucks. Maybe I am just overthinking it?

drvn67stang said:
So if you scalp the head of a doe then how do you keep the tag attached to the ear to get the tag signed? Seems like a headache to harvest a doe compared to a buck as the regs seem clearly written for bucks. Maybe I am just overthinking it?
Keep the entire doe head and cape in your wife's side of the freezer. Put the meat on your side. Just a thought.

step one: Rearrange everything and make it fit! I have no wife so the freezer is all mine! : :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 20

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu