East kern county quail

turkeyman 85

Feb 24, 2014
Well we went out yesterday morning for some post thanksgiving quail hunting. Found that numbers are up but my spot really isn't crawling as in years past. But the hunting was still high paced. I got six but lost one and called it for the day.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
Sounds like a great day! And sounds like you have some good sized coveys up there.

That's a good day for this year, in eastern Kern Co. I hunt there as well and although the numbers are up from last year it's still low overall. I found they have been busting much earlier and not holding as much too. Have you noticed the same?

Sluice 45+yards all day long man. They're all hold over adults but did see some young birds when I was driving.

SluiceCoot said:
That's a good day for this year, in eastern Kern Co. I hunt there as well and although the numbers are up from last year it's still low overall. I found they have been busting much earlier and not holding as much too. Have you noticed the same?

In SoCal we are seeing similar behavior with coveys busting earlier than I can remember.

2dogs1name said:
SluiceCoot said:

In SoCal we are seeing similar behavior with coveys busting earlier than I can remember.

It is because they are all adult, educated birds. Very few juveniles due to drought.

2dogs1name said:
Kellendv said:
2dogs1name said:

It is because they are all adult, educated birds. Very few juveniles due to drought.

Exactly! Which makes me worried for years to come..

Yeah times are bad for game birds right now. I rarely kill more than 2 birds on a hunt, I just feel bad for them. Hopefully the predicted rains come this winter, if so there will be plenty of feed in the spring for the young. Next year things may be looking up! One can only hope....

Kellendv said:
2dogs1name said:
Kellendv said:
2dogs1name said:

Yeah times are bad for game birds right now. I rarely kill more than 2 birds on a hunt, I just feel bad for them. Hopefully the predicted rains come this winter, if so there will be plenty of feed in the spring for the young. Next year things may be looking up! One can only hope....
If you feel bad why are you hunting them? Lol where I hunt bird numbers are below 80% of an average year.. I haven't even tried to hunt them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaftHunter said:
Kellendv said:
2dogs1name said:
Kellendv said:
2dogs1name said:

If you feel bad why are you hunting them? Lol where I hunt bird numbers are below 80% of an average year.. I haven't even tried to hunt them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two English setters that live for it. And despite "poor" bird numbers, there are still birds all over the county. Numbers are slightly improved from last year. I hunt a lot and shoot a little because I love to watch my dogs hunt, but I moderate my take based on covey size. Rotate hunt spots to keep pressure down on any one covey. Just because I "feel" bad for them doesn't mean I'm not passionate about hunting them.

Edit: Sorry for derailing the topic.

Kellen,

I agree with you. Sometimes we find birds and I don't shoot 'em just to watch my dog find 'em. That's the real fun for me.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu