El Toro Feed lot in El Centro (Heber) no longer allows hunting

pchen911

Oct 6, 2014
Made the 2 hour drive to El Centro today, only to discover the popular El Toro feed lot no longer allows hunting.

13521860_10153729336324639_7849550386637869103_n.jpg

Spoke to a gentleman there and he said it was a combination of misconduct by hunters and circumstances. He said that even though they liked hunters, they had a car window cracked by birdshot. Also, they were finding dead birds in their compost pile, which could get them into trouble.

Long story short, the popular El Toro cattle and feed lot is now "Permanently" closed to hunting.

Thought I would post this to save others planning to make the long trek there the unfortunate surprise.

My heart ached as I loved this place. I am also in need of finding a new place where Eurasians fly consistently. This was the only place that I know of. In event that someone is willing to help guide me to a new spot for Euros, please do send me a message. I can practically promise that you'll never see me, or even traces of me... I only hunt on weekdays just about exclusively, never on weekends, and almost always solo. And I always pick up my trash and empty hulls, sometimes other people's too.

Knew it was coming, been hunting there for years, every year its gotten worst, empty's everywhere, feathers from cleaned dove all over. people hunting the road, opener this last year was embarrassing, i was ashamed of the people breaking the rules, i stopped and asked a guy to please get F&^K out of the road so i could pass, he was right in from of the office just off the scales shooting. FN idiot, i never hunted there during the season, was a great Euro spot off season.once a year hunt idiots always ruin a good thing. it wont be long when the valley is completely off limits.

I share your sentiments exactly.

I hunted that place only once during dove season, and then no more. Way too crowded and too dangerous for my taste.

But it was great for off-season Euros like you said, especially on weekdays.

Well that sucks but I too get it. Never fear the valley is a BIG place with LOTS of opertunity lots of smaller "hidden" gems. Look around, drive around look at maps and make friends. I've already invited any one especially noobs out to the valley July 5-7 to hunt a few not too secret spots that I have found on my own. I'll keep some of the new bones I've been tossed a secret.

No surprise......I've been hunting the IV since 1970.....I've watched spot after spot either get closed or posted.....Shooting 2 & 300 birds at a time, leaving crap all over the place, and having no regard for the 150 yd rule.....It was only a matter of time before they closed El Toro (and you couldn't get much more hunter friendly than them).

Any wonder why so many are tight lipped about where they're hunting?.....This is the perfect example!

Just a small portion of shells picked up with Brian & Kyle a couple of weeks back.

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    607.7 KB · Views: 38
El toro is over rated never really like that feed lot or any feed lot to shoot birds.

Plenty of flyways not in feed lots

MJB said:
El toro is over rated never really like that feed lot or any feed lot to shoot birds.

Plenty of flyways not in feed lots

Glad to hear that... Now I just gotta scout some of them out.

Thanks for the post Big Jim, but I do understand about not announcing your spots publicly.

Please do feel free edit out the details as you deem necessary.

One last hint then I'll shut up. If el toro feed lot is a good spot for you or any one then don't let postings stop you from using that area. Find the fly way they use. It may be just on the next field or so. Look in the direct area around the lot. It may be hunt able land. Don't give up on a spot that you like just because that exact spot is posted. Just like deer they have to come from some where.

Well there goes that spot......I'd take that down, PM is always a better way to help someone out

Thank you GSPman.

You may want to edit out the quote from "Big Jim" on your last post.... and maybe the hint as well.

I didn't let the day go to waste. I did scout around a bit and got a few birds today, but birds were nowhere near as dense as at the lot. Specifically, the Eurasians.

My observations leads me to think that Eurasians tend be more dense near the city limits, and further out I got, the less Euros I saw. Plenty of white wing and mournings though, but that doesn't do me much good for off-season hunting.

It was alright though, I also discovered some good spots for other game animals in the process of looking for Euros.

Euros tend to fly at different times than the WW or morning but they do over lap. I've found they are late to fly in the am and they are out early in the afternoon.

Yeah they like the city limits but not all of them. Look for melons, wheat, corn and seeded fields or newly cut/plowed fields and don't forget your binos to cover more land.......they really blend in

I always leave with more empties and shelll boxes than I came with...this is a bummer for sure, had some great shoots there.

Big Jim,

Thanks for honestly trying to help out your fellow hunter.....Like was stated, when giving out specific spots, it's best done through PM's.

Nice talking to you tonight......I'm sure good Karma will be coming your way.

It's really sad. But you really can't really show people your spots anymore. If you do they show up with every Tom dick, and hairy and it will be there uncles sisters cusins brothers spot befor you know it. They litter shoot anything that moves. It's a shame that you have to be so careful.

I think it's great to get youth into hunting and invite people take them out. People just don't have any respect anymore I guess...El Toro is a great example of word of mouth...loose lips sink ships....rant done

Lived here in the IV all my life hunted/fished it all my life (41yrs) I have seen this behavior only getting worse. I have always been good with helping a fellow hunter out in finding a "starting point" to hunt down here and I have also received that private message telling me not to help out people because "they" will burn out the spots especially "outsiders"(non valley hunters) and now with all of this that farmers have been shutting down areas I guess I will have to think twice about who I help out. Kinda sad because we want more hunters so we can fight for our rights against the tree huggers but then we have to hold back on helping fellow hunters because they might ruin/disrespect the land. I only hope that when my kids are old enough to hunt I don't have to pay to hunt. Please educate the new hunters that have not been raised to respect and remind the old ones that this is not a given but can be taken. rant over, thank you drive through... Good Day, Good Luck.

Reactions: cookieman-1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu