Empty handed, but fun day yesterday

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
Got to take my twelve-year-old out for the opener yesterday. Don't have a lot of time to scout, so I have to hit the Old Reliable areas that I and about a thousand other people know about. But still, were able to get there just with a couple other Hunters before daylight and get set up. Spoke to them before they went in, Nice Guys, so makes hunting near them less worrisome. Ended up getting a group of Gobblers making their way towards us first thing. Continued for the next hour and a half as they would get closer than move away, get closer than move away.

After about two and a half hours, without hearing anything for the last 45 minutes or so we decided to move to another spot. Got there, and saw a hen crossing the road pretty close by so figured the birds were on the move and got set up. About a half an hour later we heard some gobbles on private property across the fence line and played with them for the next hour, but they wandered away instead of getting closer. All in all it was a fun day, being two for two with gobbles at each site, just not being able to suck them in. My son even played with ththe call a bit and did pretty well, got them to reply once or twice. Anyway, Always next time, right? Just fun to make it out.....

Yep. I've gone up there many times and not heard a single bird, but 2 get them sounding off in both sits was pretty cool, even if we never saw them.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Yes after fly down and did their locate call. I have heard them cluck and gobble 50 -60 yards but in heavy cover. So couldn't see them then nothing to do with us and they were gone... Lol

Reactions: Vermonster
Very cool, Sean....The woods were beautiful and alive this week-end....So nice to see so much green and water.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu