Excited to find this forum... and hoping to find some others to train with!

Montview

Apr 24, 2015
Hi all, I thought I would introduce myself and my dogs- looking to get back into the field after somewhat of a hiatus in training during which we had a wedding and now have an 18 month old baby. Life sometimes gets in the way...though in the very best of ways!

I am Julie, and I have lived here in southern California since 2000 and enjoy competing with our 3 labrador retrievers in a variety of venues. They are all bench-bred (in fact, all are AKC champions, owner-handled by me), and we enjoy obedience and field work, and have taken some local agility classes as well (so fun!). Only one has a hunt test title (junior hunter, though trained up through SH which we may pursue), though all have gone pheasant, quail and dove hunting with us and love it! I would like to continue to pursue hunt test titles in the future.

Monty is 9.5 years old, a yellow male- I actually showed him myself at Westminster back in 2009, where he made it down to the last 8 dogs from which Best Of Breed was chosen (out of 54 entries that year I believe). I took him to the 2010 southern California labrador nationals where he passed 2 JH tests, a couple of Rally classes, and received a judge's award of merit in conformation to qualify him for the "Dog For All Reasons" award and he got a "challenge" medal. It was pretty cool. :)
Monty%20at%20Nationals%20JH%20Test%202010_zpsmnvxilso.jpg

2%20JH%20Passes%20with%20Bill%20and%20Monty_zpszcch9yqa.jpg

Dog%20For%20All%20Reasons%20Award-%20Monty%202010_zpsv6g0ifhu.jpg

Rogue is 6 years, a black male. He is a completely different dog in the field than in the show ring (where we refer to him as Eeyore or Ferdinand the Bull). LOVES birds! I got Rogue when he was 2 years old and he had never been swimming before. Shortly afterward, we took a roadtrip to MT where we rented a raft and floated the Yellowstone river near where my husband grew up, fishing. At one nice pull-out with an eddy perfect for fishing, we heard the honking of geese and a big splash- Rogue ended up swimming down the river (quite the intro to water safety!) after a flock of Canada geese. Our fishing that day was cut a bit short as we had to go after him.
Rogue%20WC%20Practice%20Day%20water%202014_zpskqpz2ko4.jpg

Rogue%20WC%20Practice%20Day%202014_zpsspo4vyyi.jpg

Eddy is 2 years old, a black male (Rogue's son). He's currently in Poland with a labrador breeder there to show and stand at stud. He is another one who was a bird freak from the first time he ever saw one. It has been problematic when out on walks. Needing some more obedience, LOL.
Eddy%20WC%20Practice%20Day%202014_zpsuuimnrt3.jpg

Anyhow, would love to meet some here and their dogs! I have a couple of Bumper Boy doubles, 3 remote-controlled wingers and a variety of other equipment designed to help train in the field in small groups or alone. I am going to work on getting to the Inland Valley Retriever Club and Lab Retriever Club of Southern California training days each month this summer... and hope to see some others there too!

Great post...glad to have you aboard SCH! Great pictures of the pooches too.

nice to have some more labs on here.... :) welcome to the site

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu