First Bear!

wyorob

Oct 26, 2018
Haven't posted in a long time, but happy to share I got my first bear out of x10 this weekend.

Saturday we came face to face with a monster probably 350/400lbs, but dummy me didn't have a round in the chamber. That bear stared at us from 50 yards while we talked and watched him but the second I racked one in, he knew what that sound meant and he was gone.

Next morning we went back to the same spot and got this guy, a bit over 200 lbs. I'm happy with it!

Did the tag validation with DFW today, now I'm trying to find a taxidermist. Seems anyone real close to Costa Mesa only does pets and fish.

Any taxidermist recommendations???

.20220925_122104.jpg20220925_122059.jpgIMG_20220925_162757_984.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rug? Lifesize? With habitat? Without? Half mount? Breck Dickinson out of el centro does everything. ..really good....Eddie is in AZ...but does some outstanding work also..aka BOWHUNTER..only 2 guys I would use...but I would have to kill something first....nice bear.

Thanks everyone!

I'm thinking just a simple rug, although a full size scene mint would be super rad, I just don't have the space right now.

It was in x10, using a Weatherby .257 magnum. One shot, maybe 50 yards, he passed quickly but did fall into a creek which was a bit of work to wrestle him out of and onto the bank.

Thank you for the recommendations, I'm definitely going to reach out!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu