First California deer down

Dawnandusk

Sep 26, 2018
Bonita
I have been chasing deer on the D16 for about 6 years. I started hunting with a rifle and then I was introduced to archery. I killed two bucks in Utah during the last two general seasons but the doe I kill with my bow yesterday was a complete diferent experience.
I have a lot of people to thank for their mentoring and advice, many are in this forum. You have helped me to make it posible.

.4E309AF3-2DB4-4A51-87B9-354364B6158F.jpegCCF37E21-33F7-4BE1-AC87-1C52FCD5E507.jpeg052EC8A8-D44A-4C77-A4D8-8224464F012D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! Way to go Fabian so stoked for you. You have really been turning it on the last couple of years and things are starting to come together. I am happy for you.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
A22 has some girl's!!! Nice work...D16 is in trouble this year.

Fabian! Putting in the work when it's 100* and even the most dedicated hunters stayed home.

Can you share the story a little more with us? Treestand, spot and stalk, dynamite?

Congrats my brother! Super stoked for you! You've been putting in the work for years and it's finally paid off. I bet she will eat good and you will remember that one forever. Way to go Fabian!!

Fabian! Putting in the work when it's 100* and even the most dedicated hunters stayed home.

Can you share the story a little more with us? Treestand, spot and stalk, dynamite?
I drove up the mountain on Friday afternoon, on my way to my planned camping spot I came across a buck and two does exactly where I was planning on setting up the next day. Saturday morning I hiked up to my spot and waited for two hours until the crack of dawn. It got hot pretty quick, other hunters I saw leaving too early. I stuck there until 11:00 am and then hiked back to camp for lunch and a nap. I planned on hunting a different area in the evening thinking about the direction the deer I saw the previous day were going. I did set up and waited... no luck, they probably decided to stay a bit longer wherever they were bedded waiting for the heat to go away. After dinner that night I noticed very little to no hunters in the area. On Sunday I started the hike to another area that I am familiar with, I sat tight from 4:20 until about 8:00 am, then I did hear a series of grunts to my right about 60 yds behind some bushes. I checked the wind and realized that it was not in my favor. after a while I decided to go check and he was gone. It was about 10:00 when I started the walk back towards camp and suddenly decided that the area I was walking through deserved to be checked. I pulled my little tripod stool and sat there checking downhill for game. Suddenly I look to my left and there is a doe coming towards me, checked farther back to see if a buck was coming behind but didn't see one. Knowing that I could not stand up, calmly pulled an arrow from my quiver, knocked it, set my release and draw the bow. By then she was very close and coming fast, the problem was that she was coming straight at me, fearing that she could wind me, the moment she turned a bit left I sent my arrow. I heard the hit and saw her running away. That's when I started shaking like crazy. I have never experienced something like that. I was so happy but nobody was there to share. I tried my best to type on my phone to family and friends and I could barely control my thumbs!!!. Then the tracking began, I went to the spot she was when I shot her and there was no blood on the ground. I did hit her high. She was bleeding internally. I ranged back to my tripod stool and got 25 yds. Slowly I started walking towards the most likely area where she could have gone. She made me and ran away. Checked the spot where she was bedded and found a bit of blood, then I knew it was my doe. Then I kept searching and I found a shape under a tree that was not normal, I looked through my binos and there she was, resting in peace. Gutting, skinning and quartering an animal alone in the ground and in that heat was no fun, but worth it every minute.
I am so happy that I got it done.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu